Number of caliper pistons doesn't matter.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Erm, Scotland, but all part of the jolly old UK. Yes it rains practically all the time here, dark, dingy, freezing, F_M photo must have been our best day of the year, but the people are unique. When i lived in south Houston the sunlight was getting to me, same with Phoenix so there could be something in that. 🐺 people made many comments when i would be walking about in the bad weather in the US.

Do you know what this Wolfsbane stuff is about; X-men. The writer of X-men comes from Glasgow also, just right where I live, infact very very close. F_M is a researcher and i’m wondering to what extent his research goes. Some of the content he produces it would just not surprise me if this was a triple dipple x 10 intermingled input he done on this one. 😅

It was a nice piece of input mate, very clever.
Sorry, I was a kid, and somebody said, it was always raining in England. It was stuck in my head, I have no idea if it is true or not.

Sorry, I was a kid, and somebody said, it was always raining in England. It was stuck in my head, I have no idea if it is true or not.
No problem, I cant expect people to know whats going on here.

It does rain in England allot more than say Arizona, the weather is very diverse. Although in the UK it is common for people to further narrow this raining down to mostly Glasgow.

If its sunny here and you go out with sunglasses, hat, shorts and trainers, you either do not go far, or you take a pair of wellies and waterproofs with you just incase. 😀 a bear skin in the winter would not go amiss. 🐺

It looks like any brain effort is irritating you. While somebody has different opinion, you are just pissed off and want to insult a guy who started your painful and unsuccessful brain work. Don't burn your fuse, don't read my threads, find something simple to read.

That's the problem...if we saw some brain effort we may be less irritated but all we are reading is something simple.
All you seem to do is toss the pebble into the pool and then walk away and as Mr Parmino writes if you keep on going that way rather than getting responses all you will get is silence.

Rather than expecting others to do the thinking for you perhaps some time on the internet exploring the subject would answer some of your theories.

MM helpful hint: Insulting those from whom you may want help is not a good route to travel down.

...Although in the UK it is common for people to further narrow this raining down to mostly Glasgow.

'Scuse me from questioning that comment Mr Screwloose but is that from a Scottish perspective? ;)
In England we would say Manchester is where it always rains!
In part that's why the cotton industry grew there as the damper atmosphere meant the threads were less likely to break when being spun.

As most weather approaches the UK from the west it is this side which tends to get higher rainfall thus the reputation that Manchester (and Glasgow :D) have for incessant rain....which happens to be untrue.

'Scuse me from questioning that comment Mr Screwloose but is that from a Scottish perspective? ;)
In part that's why the cotton industry grew there as the damper atmosphere meant the threads were less likely to break when being spun.

As most weather approaches the UK from the west it is this side which tends to get higher rainfall thus the reputation that Manchester (and Glasgow :D) have for incessant rain....which happens to be untrue.
Yes Mr Midnight just blethering on a general Scottish level, It’s not a technical evaluation on who gets the most rain in the UK. I work around the UK allot and people usually mention the rain when they find out I’m originally from Glasgow. I’ve never looked up the internet to see where the most rainfall is in the UK, but I’ve been in Manchester dozens of times, and damn it rains there too, the most scary flight I’ve been on came into Manchester. Also I worked out your way in Barrow-in-Furness and the rain, mist, wind meant I never seen more than a couple of nice days in six months. I eventually tried living on Walney Island but the weather was so bad at the time I could not really get out.

So just general chat. No matter what the weather report is for here, I always stick my head out the window to get a true evaluation. :)

Hope you do not mind me going back to this subject.

I’ve just remembered that when travelling to work and just before Barrow I was stuck in flood for an entire day, the water was so high that lorries could not get through until pumps arrived. Then in work there were reports of people seeing a hippo in a stream further back along the road.

You win hands down mate as even Glasgow cannot compete with the above 😀

Hope you do not mind me going back to this subject.

I’ve just remembered that when travelling to work and just before Barrow I was stuck in flood for an entire day, the water was so high that lorries could not get through until pumps arrived. Then in work there were reports of people seeing a hippo in a stream further back along the road.

You win hands down mate as even Glasgow cannot compete with the above 😀
An interesting fact about the London Fire Brigade and a pump they used: a Coventry DOHC inline-4 cyl fire pump was adopted for use in motorsports with the addition of a gearbox, and stuffed into a ground-breaking car by John Cooper, where the engine was behind the driver. Cooper worked his way through the classes: F3, Formula Junior, F2, and then F1. The Cooper Coventry-Climax demonstrated its superior handling and performance because of its lightweight construction, there was less wear and tear on the suspension, brakes, and better fuel economy. It truly-was a paradigm shift, as virtually all F1 competitors had to adopt a new chassis layout if they were to become competitive. All because someone thought to use a London Fire Brigade fire pump as a basis for a competition automobile, and used an idea first-seen in a racing class where the popular engine was a Norton 500cc motorcycle engine, where they placed it behind the driver. Jack Brabham used the idea as an early adopter, and he remains to this day, the only driver to win the F1 Constructor's championship and the Driver's championship in a car of his own design.

Cooper Coventry Climax F1 1960.jpg

An interesting fact about the London Fire Brigade and a pump they used: a Coventry DOHC inline-4 cyl fire pump was adopted for use in motorsports with the addition of a gearbox, and stuffed into a ground-breaking car by John Cooper, where the engine was behind the driver. Cooper worked his way through the classes: F3, Formula Junior, F2, and then F1. The Cooper Coventry-Climax demonstrated its superior handling and performance because of its lightweight construction, there was less wear and tear on the suspension, brakes, and better fuel economy. It truly-was a paradigm shift, as virtually all F1 competitors had to adopt a new chassis layout if they were to become competitive. All because someone thought to use a London Fire Brigade fire pump as a basis for a competition automobile, and used an idea first-seen in a racing class where the popular engine was a Norton 500cc motorcycle engine, where they placed it behind the driver. Jack Brabham used the idea as an early adopter, and he remains to this day, the only driver to win the F1 Constructor's championship and the Driver's championship in a car of his own design.

View attachment 78444
Takes me back to the old Grand Prix Legends days.

There's a '67 F1 mod for Assetto Corsa. Now I'm jonesing to do a few laps. :)

View attachment 78444
That was damn interesting.

As an aside the London Fire Brigade are quoted in many studies as they keep so much material on their investigations. I know an electrical guy who rarely has to venture outside their archives when doing a study. He tells me they were clear and honest about the Grenfell disaster root cause. An unusual traight is honesty these days, good on them.

Yes Mr Midnight just blethering on a general Scottish level, It’s not a technical evaluation on who gets the most rain in the UK.

Mr Screwloose I doff my cap to your superior knowledge and my lack of it.
One site says the wettest city in the UK is, as you suggest, Glasgow with Manchester a mere 14th on the list.
However another says Cardiff is first, Glasgow third and Manchester down in fifteenth (must try harder!)

That was damn interesting.

As an aside the London Fire Brigade are quoted in many studies as they keep so much material on their investigations. I know an electrical guy who rarely has to venture outside their archives when doing a study. He tells me they were clear and honest about the Grenfell disaster root cause. An unusual traight is honesty these days, good on them.
The NFPA here in the Colonies has a similar search for truth in their fire investigations, and other forensic studies. I saw at an in-service seminar for fire inspectors a study on the Station nightclub fire in Rhode Island. Between the illegal means of egress and the unpermitted interior structural modifications and illegal fire-promoting interior finishes those victims didn't stand a chance.

I saw Australian Jack Brabham racing F1 along with Jimmy Clark (another famous Scot, besides you, Screwloose!), Graham Hill, Chris Amon, Bruce McLaren, Dan Gurney, John Surtees, and others.

Mr Screwloose I doff my cap to your superior knowledge and my lack of it.
One site says the wettest city in the UK is, as you suggest, Glasgow with Manchester a mere 14th on the list.
However another says Cardiff is first, Glasgow third and Manchester down in fifteenth (must try harder!)
I would not call it superior knowledge as I never knew that much either, nor did I try and search for it 😀. A luckier guesser would be more accurate. Thanks as now I can quote it, and reference Mr Midnight from Cumbria as the official source.

What about the hippo in the stream somewhere in Cumbria during heavy rain. Any news in that one?

I saw Australian Jack Brabham racing F1 along with Jimmy Clark (another famous Scot, besides you, Screwloose!), Graham Hill, Chris Amon, Bruce McLaren, Dan Gurney, John Surtees, and others.
Compliments taken with full acceptance my friend, love them.

Anyway; although I do not know any of you I'm sure you are all eager to find out what happened at the doctors today, and I'll say again I am trully allergic to garlic and it's the only food I cannot eat, it damn near kills me by breaking down my immune system, within half an hour I'm in real trouble.

The verdict was she said not to buy any more Long Life Milk, or any L.P's. As I was leaving the room she said that I was to hand in samples of excrement, urine, and sperm. For her insensitivity on my diagnosis, I've left my Y fronts at reception with a note saying you will get everything in here, and a bit more. 🤣

Just thought I would throw in a joke today.

I would not call it superior knowledge as I never knew that much either, nor did I try and search for it 😀. A luckier guesser would be more accurate. Thanks as now I can quote it, and reference Mr Midnight from Cumbria as the official source.

What about the hippo in the stream somewhere in Cumbria during heavy rain. Any news in that one?

I think you will find that was, in fact, George 'Very big boy' Caruthers who fell into the upper reaches of the River Caldew whist trying to cross on the Hoppit stepping stones.
Due to his, how do I put this, exceedingly large size and wearing a grey boiler-suit he was mistaken for the aforementioned animal.
He eventually was rescued as he floated downstream to Carlisle and washed up on a sandbank.
Even then it took rescuers two days to remove him due to his gravitational force making him almost impossible to lift.

A rescuer was reported to have said that it was probably easier to re-float a ship in the Suez Canal than to get George off the sandbar.

Drum brakes have more surface area.So they must be better.
Have you calculated the surface contact area per rotation of the wheel during use!

Shoes have less contact area that is evenly distributed pressure between the composite and the drum metal. The leading edge of the shoe composite wears dramatically compared to the trailing edge (there is only one piston). Also the drum diameter flexes and distorts allot more than disks under use and permanently ends up slightly oval if you pressurise it too much as temp increases, where disk steel is compressed against itself.

Drum brakes have more surface area.So they must be better.
Adding to Mr S's contribution, drum brakes are less able to dissipate the heat generated and add significantly to unsprung weight.

PS: The fall of the Roman Empire is thought to have been caused by a carelessly discarded Corinthian pillar that they tripped over.

PPS: I see that del is back (#57)

Latest posts

Back