Nut of midgear/differential broke (pinion gear)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rzwanink

Reaction score
Guys,

Maybe a stupid question. But better asked then left behind in the darkness of my mind :biglaugh:

I am from the Netherlands so my English may be a little off.

From what I could find on the other topics, it is called my midgear/pinion gear or differential broke (see picture). Started with a wining sound and short after a completr loss of the drivechain. No power what so ever.

I can buy an used diff/pinion gear, but I am left with a safety question.

Is it hard to shim the new/replacement part. What do I look for in margens... can I feel it or do I have to messuer it somehow? Or can I just put it in without a problem. Or is it best just to buy a complete new of the shelf pinion set.

You see, a little bit left in the dark here.

Hope for youre help

Attachments

• file.jpeg
    file.jpeg
    55.1 KB · Views: 49
Should be a direct replacement- the Venture will work also.It is usually than tension nut that goes out.

So the old/broke one out. New one in and back om the bike? It doen't matter the gear is worn diffrently with the one in the engine (the other half)

Yes, it will go into place and will be a bit weaker but should be a direct replacement without harm.

Ok,

Sounds good. Reason why I am doubting is because an member of the Holland chapter was warning me about the engine could damage. Because wearing of the gears. Little bits of metal swimming trough the oil/engine.

Or even worse... rear wheel/engine ceasing up.

Ok,

Sounds good. Reason why I am doubting is because an member of the Holland chapter was warning me about the engine could damage. Because wearing of the gears. Little bits of metal swimming trough the oil/engine.

Or even worse... rear wheel/engine ceasing up.
I would certainly run oil THROUGH the engine to clean out any debris. Change filter ect ect.

It is a part that requires specific shimming to get the lash properly set. HOWEVER, I have had good luck just swapping that part out.

I have also seen other people take it to a machine shop and having the original threads drilled out and tapped into the body and using a bolt instead of a nut in that position.

It is a part that requires specific shimming to get the lash properly set. HOWEVER, I have had good luck just swapping that part out.

I have also seen other people take it to a machine shop and having the original threads drilled out and tapped into the body and using a bolt instead of a nut in that position.

What I've done with success was drilling and tapping that splined stub and
Loctiting another stub just like an exhaust stud and reusing the nut.

Replacement part is placed. Broken one is being repared just as u say.

Strange thing is... noise is still there?

It is frome somewhere over there. Maybe a complete overhaule of the mid/diff/end gear in the winter.

Latest posts

Back