Nuther Dumb Question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maybe it's a combination of the amount of exhaust gasses, length of tube they travel through, speed that the engine discharges them, and weight of materials, and maybe looks,
or maybe none of the above 🙃

Why is it separated exhaust (i.e. dual exhaust) is considered "sporty" in the auto world but for bikes, # into1 is synonymous with high performance?
Not a dumb question if you would like an answer.
In some respects how one considers one v. two silencers is down to personal opinion.
From a practical standpoint a single silencer system would be lighter and also provide better scavenging. Have a read of this which explains what goes on inside the exhaust.

Whist this is an important consideration in motorsport it isn't for road use.
The majority of us wouldn't notice a few extra pounds or that a single silencer potentially produced a few more GG's.
IMO go for the system that best floats your boat.

Why is it separated exhaust (i.e. dual exhaust) is considered "sporty" in the auto world but for bikes, # into1 is synonymous with high performance?
It's about tuning and practicality more than anything else.

The perfect exhaust system has primary tubes all the same exact length, but you have to take aesthetics and practicality into consideration as well. It's much easier in the case of the Vmax's V4 configuration to accomplish that by keeping the sides separated. It's also more aesthetically pleasing to most people. On an inline 4, the 4 into one accomplishes it with ease and is actually cheaper to do as you use less pipe.

Even in the automotive industry, many so-called duel exhaust systems aren't true duel exhaust systems. Many of them run to a central pipe, through a catalytic, then separate after the catalytic into two pipes out the back.

Here's the basic VMax 4 into 2 exhaust:

1627041580922.png

Here's a VooDoo 4 into 1 for a VMax:

1627041231658.png

Note the curly pipes on the rear. That's done to try to keep the pipes the same length as the front cylinders.

Here's a 4 into 1 for an inline 4:

1627041338212.png

As @MaxMidnight said, you get better scavenging effect off the 4 into 1, which gives you better tuning, which gives you better power.

But that comes at the expense of the engineering it takes to pull it off, the extra materials you use, the aesthetic you may or may not like, etc.

GG in case anyone is wondering.

The Chester Racecourse site was home to the famous and bloody Goteddsday football match. The game was very violent and, in 1533, banned by the city, to be replaced in 1539 by horse racing. The first recorded race was held on February 9, 1539 with the consent of the Mayor Henry Gee, whose name led to the use of the term "gee-gee" for horses.

The Chester Racecourse site was home to the famous and bloody Goteddsday football match. The game was very violent and, in 1533, banned by the city, to be replaced in 1539 by horse racing. The first recorded race was held on February 9, 1539 with the consent of the Mayor Henry Gee, whose name led to the use of the term "gee-gee" for horses.
There is a Swiss-made reverse trike, the GG Taurus, I don't think they are in business anymore. There was a G&G transverse-mounted V-twin motorcycle, looks like they may have used a Moto Guzzi engine, 1100cc.

Wow, I've never heard anyone call a horse a gee-gee. My daughter called foo-foos. Although she was 2 at the time.

Latest posts

Back