O-ring problem ???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

355cid

Reaction score
I dropped the oil pan on my recently aquired '86 max to recover a shift drum pin today. The pin was exactly where another member said it would be, in the oil pump pick-up. I also recovered the missing screw for the input shaft bearing retainer, it was in the bottom of the pan. How that stuff came out and made it to the bottom of the pan without creating havoc, I'll never know. What I didn't find was the missing bend tab on the clutch hub nut lock washer but there was quite a bit of metal shards in the o. pump screen. My 1st question is do you think the motor coulda chewed that piece up without doing major damage and my 2nd question is one of the o-rings on the 2 oil supply tubes closest to the oil filter boss is bulged out and not seated where it's supposed to be. should I pull it apart and replace it and is there a better set-up? Thanks for any help. Larry.:ummm:

Cycle One Off and Sean Morley have 2 types of fixes for the O-Ring. Yamaha has a cure by buying their latest parts too... COO's is simple from where you are if the O-Ring is still good and can be pushed carefully back in place.? Yamaha's fix is more involved, replacing plumbing and new O-Rings. Sean's is complex but probably the best for ever fix. His has an Oval O-Ring and an Oil Pump Mod to give high volume and high pressure.

I'm in the beginning of this O-Ring Issue myself. I do have pretty good oil pressure so I'm hopeful for the simple fix. Never works out so I don't know why I'm optimistic.:bang head:

I can't answer for the rest.

Dave

The O ring that Yamaha puts in is very soft, The kawi O ring that sean recomends os more dense and will stay in much better. I put the kawi ring in mine and dont think it can pooch out so i feel good about it now.

I did the fix with the all new OEM parts. Probably any of the fixes will work.

Might be a good time to switch to the new style segment. I think Sean Morley stocks the parts.

Did Sean' s kit and pump upgrade along with a gage from Cycle One off. Next time I drop the pan I'll do the Boxenstopp 993E Oil Pump O-Ring security
mounting, (maybe if I buy exhaust this winter). 6-8 psi oil pressure at idle, hot now, want to keep it that way.
Steve O

Thanks for the help and guidance everyone, I ordered one of Seans kits today. I've already got it torn down as I'm doing the segment upgrade when those parts get here so going that route made the most sense. Thanks again, Larry.

Latest posts

Back