odd glitch.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Seward

Reaction score
I installed the new regulator up under the seat a week ago. Voltage reads 14.0 to 14.1 at anything over 1500 rpm. It drops to 13.7 or so at idle. Voltmeter draws power from the trigger for the low beam relay. There is a slight voltage drop of about .5 volts at this point from voltage measured at battery, so I'm getting a solid 14.4 to 14.5 at battery, and everything works fine.. Regulator gets only slightly warm.

When I start the bike from cold, (it cranks great and starts instantly!), the voltmeter functions fine, but once rolling, it turns off, then turns on again and drops to zero for just an instant, then goes back to working, when i pull in the clutch to shift. Tachometer 'twitches' up a few hundred RPM, and the tach and temp gauge lights flicker. Oddly, after a few hundred yards riding, this stops and everything goes back to normal. If I just shut it down for a few minutes, no sign of this. The voltmeter is hooked into the low beam trigger, so it is not on with high beam. Problem still goes on with high beam on, the meter lights flicker and tach jumps. Headlights do not flicker at all, tail and brake lights also stable. Motor does not misfire, either.

Any suggestions?

Disconnect the voltmeter power source to see if this is causing your problems.
I've got mine connected to the brown ignition switch wire, just upstream of the connector, which is the most immediate location for switched battery voltage indication (only potential voltage loss is the red wire from the battery +, the main fuse, and the ignition switch itself) . I use a analog gauge with an adjusting pot, but very little adjustment was needed.
Cheers - although hard to say in light of Joe Lorio's passing.

I installed the new regulator up under the seat a week ago. Voltage reads 14.0 to 14.1 at anything over 1500 rpm. It drops to 13.7 or so at idle. Voltmeter draws power from the trigger for the low beam relay. There is a slight voltage drop of about .5 volts at this point from voltage measured at battery, so I'm getting a solid 14.4 to 14.5 at battery, and everything works fine.. Regulator gets only slightly warm.

When I start the bike from cold, (it cranks great and starts instantly!), the voltmeter functions fine, but once rolling, it turns off, then turns on again and drops to zero for just an instant, then goes back to working, when i pull in the clutch to shift. Tachometer 'twitches' up a few hundred RPM, and the tach and temp gauge lights flicker. Oddly, after a few hundred yards riding, this stops and everything goes back to normal. If I just shut it down for a few minutes, no sign of this. The voltmeter is hooked into the low beam trigger, so it is not on with high beam. Problem still goes on with high beam on, the meter lights flicker and tach jumps. Headlights do not flicker at all, tail and brake lights also stable. Motor does not misfire, either.

Any suggestions?
Are these the stock gauges?

Yes they are.. crazy how after less than a quarter mile things go back to normal. When I start the bike up from cold, the glitch doesn't happen till the bike is moving. Pull the clutch in till yyou're blue in the face, it doesn't act up till the bike moves a few hundred feet..

Disconnect the voltmeter power source to see if this is causing your problems.
I've got mine connected to the brown ignition switch wire, just upstream of the connector, which is the most immediate location for switched battery voltage indication (only potential voltage loss is the red wire from the battery +, the main fuse, and the ignition switch itself) . I use a analog gauge with an adjusting pot, but very little adjustment was needed.
Cheers - although hard to say in light of Joe Lorio's passing.
Bless your heart miles.

Ebay, FH010BA, bought the proper connectors. Posi lock connectors to stator, and output connected directly to battery. Unit does not gets hot, and voltmeter shows stable voltage when riding. 14.0 volts indicated. Glitch only lastsva few seconds on cold startup. Its stopped before motor has a chance to warm up.

Back