Odd issue with gen 1

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDB

Reaction score
1998 very well maintained... 21k miles original starter. Always started perfect until last few rides. When restarting after ridden a while.... Press starter button and sounds like marbles in a tin can. Let it sit and then fires right up and runs fine. Happened 2-3 times while riding last 3 days (maybe Startin 7 times).

Not a weak battery or bad cable and never heard a starter sound like that but I always just removed them cleaned them out and put in new OEM brush assembly and pilich commutstor etc.

Is this an indication that starter is bad or an issue with starter gear?

Idler gear and/or outer assembly??

I assume as with 99.9% of components that OEM is the best?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210907-093231_Opera.jpg
    Screenshot_20210907-093231_Opera.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20210907-093239_Opera.jpg
    Screenshot_20210907-093239_Opera.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 14
Idler gears/shafts are almost surely fine. What I would do is inspect it to see exactly what's needed. Starter clutch (7) might be fine but the bolts (11) holding it to the flywheel are loose or shot. Also inspect the ring gear (6) on back of flywheel.

So if bolts are loose (assume they should be loc tited) I could just tighten back up? I'll need a gasket.... but will I lose much oil doing this on side stand or center stand?

Any way to manually check condition of actual starter clutch by hand? Hate to spend $150 on a part when the issue is just lose bolts (which is definitely what it sounds like)...

So if bolts are loose (assume they should be loc tited) I could just tighten back up? I'll need a gasket.... but will I lose much oil doing this on side stand or center stand?

Any way to manually check condition of actual starter clutch by hand? Hate to spend $150 on a part when the issue is just lose bolts (which is definitely what it sounds like)...
Yes, might be good idea just to replace them because they are normally red loctit'd and peen'd.

Mark

Yes, might be good idea just to replace them because they are normally red loctit'd and peen'd.

Mark
I forgot, you'll need the stator cover gasket AND middle cover gasket. That middle cover will need to come off to get the stator cover off. Might want to inspect the wire grommets where the p/u coil wires and stator wires go through the case.

This gasket I assume?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210907-101240_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20210907-101240_eBay.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 10
I forgot, you'll need the stator cover gasket AND middle cover gasket. That middle cover will need to come off to get the stator cover off. Might want to inspect the wire grommets where the p/u coil wires and stator wires go through the case.

19 or 30? I got #2 coming along with new bolts already

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210907-102200_Opera.jpg
    Screenshot_20210907-102200_Opera.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 10
You won't lose a lot of oil as long as on center stand. I put a drain pan underneath the cover.

Well got everything ordered off ebay..
$131.43 total with tax and shipping for:
New OEM starter clutch
New OEM bolts (3)
Both oem gaskets

Thanks for the input... Looks simple enough using a pulley puller and Inhave the manual. I'll inspect everything while I'm in there. Red loctite on bolts (pin bolts also? I would think red loctite would do the trick)...

Anytime.

You'd think but manual wants both. Here's some vids on Sean Morley doing the inspection and service.

Other good videos on YouTube also.... One in Japanese but shows whole process

Well got everything ordered off ebay..
$131.43 total with tax and shipping for:
New OEM starter clutch
New OEM bolts (3)
Both oem gaskets

Thanks for the input... Looks simple enough using a pulley puller and Inhave the manual. I'll inspect everything while I'm in there. Red loctite on bolts (pin bolts also? I would think red loctite would do the trick)...
I just went through this with mine, a lot of help here to get you through it. Some of the how to guides have broken links so maybe this will help. Also be prepared for the assembly to come off under pressure so parts will fly if not contained.

Attachments

• Vmax Starter Clutch Repair Guide.pdf
    728.1 KB · Views: 15
Mine had only 12,000 miles on it when the starter clutch cracked. Here is the PDF document I used. Very helpful

Attachments

• Vmax Starter Clutch Replacement Guide by yukonerdave.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 18

Latest posts

Back