Odd starting problem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cliffclaven

Reaction score
70 here today, so the mrs and i fired up the v and went out.. Fired right up in the garage, ive had it on a tender in the winter. Ride 20 min. stop for gas, bike sounds like a dead battery. Bump started and ran fine back home. Pulled in the garage, went back out 15 min later, and starts right up., no issues. WTF.

Whats weird is it kinda did this on the first ride last spring. Corrosion? Bad connection somewhere? Im at a loss.:bang head:

Maybe it was mad at you for not showing it any love through the cold dark winter?? J/K- I would check all connections...

Also check the running voltage at idle, and at say 2500 rpm. Just because it was on a tender doesn't necessarily mean the battery is still good, or the bike is charging correctly. There are a ton of "charging issues" threads on here that should help narrow the problem for you. Also, is it a 2 brush or 4 brush starter?

Regular battery that has plugs on top? You really need to upgrade, you probably know by now how much of a battery this bike needs, and thats if everything works like it should. I life in Alaska and i have found that for the many months of winter storage is just too much for a conventional battery, the sealed ones fair much better. The best i have seen is the Odyssy pc680. Never a problem with them.

The original description of the problem sounds much more like the "hot start" issues we deal with on our starters, than it does a charging or battery condition issue IMO.

Basically the hot start issues plagued the early Vmax. Those that had the 2 pole starter.....vs the 4 pole starter.

Like a chevy big block that has been allowed to idle too long, then you kill it, and immediately try to restart.....the starter of the Vmax is hot....and drags, and doesnt want to turn the engine over to start. Yamaha fixed this issue I believe in the mid 90's.

A battery thats not fully charged can basically "react" the same way. Not have enough juice to turn the engine over fast enough.

Mines a 2000 so it should have the 4 brush then. Pretty sure just a low battery. I'm gonna put a new one in before I sell it anyway. Got a gen 2 on the way Monday!

Mines a 2000 so it should have the 4 brush then. Pretty sure just a low battery. I'm gonna put a new one in before I sell it anyway. Got a gen 2 on the way Monday!

Sweet!

You'll have to update with specifics & pics.

Latest posts

Back