OEM parts for our discontinued bikes, get em while you can!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wanted to share this bit of info that I ran into with my discontinued Raider just as the Vmax was discontinued also. Seems like Yamaha is not wasting anytime in stopping the making of certain parts on bikes that they have stopped making. My clutch seemed to be slipping a bit on my 14 Raider S, changed the fluid several times which seem to get better then back to slipping, checked m/c and slave and no issues. Knowing that it was definitely slipping now I ordered an OEM Clutch Kit from Rocky Mountain M/C, they told me it was on backorder until June 5th, this was several weeks ago. Then two days ago I got an email saying it was backordered until August 5th. I looked everywhere Revzilla, Motorsports.com, ebay, Chapmoto and made calls and about a third of them told me that the clutches had been discontinued. My Raider is a 14, they discontinued the Raider in 18 which has the same slipper clutch and they are just about out of clutch parts??? K&N Powersports my local dealer said the same, that they had been discontinued. I could have maybe gone with a Barnett but just didn't want to at this point. I talked with my dealer on options, he finally checked his entire data base with other dealers and there was one clutch kit showing up in Chicago, IL. I live in Tulsa. I called them and they physically had the kit and agreed to sell it to me and I pay shipping. No problem!

Just letting you guys and gals know that parts are getting more scarce and it's not just Covid this time. My 16 Max was totalled in December and I have been looking to get back on one but thinking that parts may be hard to come by since they discontinued the Gen 2 in 2020 makes me wonder???
That is a VERY big issue and is the reason I will never own a Gen 2, or now even a Raider! So sad1 :(

Almost very bike I have ever bought, I thought I would have it until I died. Ten+ bikes later, I still think the same but in reality, I have moved onto one after another. The parts issue has been this way forever; whether it be bikes, cars, planes or even a piece of heavy equipment. Eventually, you just can't get enough consumable parts or if the engine or transmission dies, there is no new parts to buy or rebuild it. I love FJs and Gen 1s but it has been 20+ & 15+years respectively since they were built and the chances of finding high quality used bikes and parts is diminishing. FJs had chain drives, constant carb/fuel issues, overheating in traffic issues and handling/tire issues; I moved onto Gen 1, still had carb issues, handling/tire issues. Now I have a Gen 2 and most issues have been addressed and I am sure that my next bike will be even more reliable in every aspect. Remember there were days that a motorcycle had to have its points adjusted/replaced every few hundred miles. Imagine how much fun a trip would be if you and your friends had to stop every time ine of you had issues.

Back