OEM Spark Plug Caps Resistor or Not?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barber1303

Reaction score
Does anyone know whether the OEM spark plug caps are resistor or not? If so, what resistance? I've purchased some aftermarket NGK caps (SB05F) w/ 5kOhm resistors and I'm trying to figure out whether they pair up properly with the OEM NGK DPR8EA-9 resistor plugs or whether I should get the non-resistor plugs (DP8EA-9). I'm thinking doubling up on the resistors is probably not what Yamaha intended, but I'm not certain what the original plug caps were. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Chris

Quite honestly, I’ve done away with resistor wires/plugs/caps on most of my motorcycles. Originally intended to suppress RFI for radio reception, it was later touted as being affective at eliminating or reducing glitches on onboard ignition controllers. That’s a lot of hogwash and I’ve never had any issues with straight through zero ohm impedance in any of my ignition systems.

For sure, you definitely don’t want to have two of any of these: resistor plugs, resistor wires, resistor caps.

I’m not sure I’ve ever been able to detect any improved performance because of eliminating them, but I feel better knowing that I have full voltage and current flowing.

<RANT ON>
Besides, nowadays a little static clouding FM reception is probably not a bad thing. FM used to be nice with no commercials or mindless banter, now it’s garbage just like AM used to be.
<RANT OFF>

Latest posts

Back