off the bike gas tank for tuning

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
I had a small polyethylene gas tank from a Briggs & Stratton John Deere riding lawnmower that I decided to make into an auxiliary gas tank for work as needed.

I got a couple of hose clamps, big ones, and some GB electrical insulated clamps to make eyelets on top of the tank. Then I used some SS split-rings about 1" dia, and a 2 ft piece of small chain. I got a double-ended spring-loaded latch, each end is like you use on a dog leash. This way you can make the chain the length you need to hang the tank from the bike handlebars, a remote freestanding post, or a rafter.

I used 5/16" I.D hose line, a small worm drive clamp to attach it to the tank, and about 5 ft of hose line. For a stopcock, I used a 1/4" brass ball valve with threaded ends, and two 5/16" hose barbs with male threaded ends to attach to the female 1/4" brass ball valve fittings.

Always work away from any pilot lights when using gasoline, and keep a 5 or 10 lb. ABC extinguisher handy.

Attachments

• auxilary gas tank.jpg
    auxilary gas tank.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 24
I've got a small outboard tank I use just for that purpose. 3 gal I believe, but no need to fill. The primer bulb comes in handy when diagnoses of fuel pump, or fuel delivery issues arise.

Back