Oh Yeah baby.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

invalidsession

Reaction score
Well hi again folks and thanks for the words of welcome. I picked up my 07 VMax on Tuesday this week in a maelstrom of piss awful weather slap bang in the center of Iowa. Initial appearances were great but the fucking rain spoiled my test ride so I did the deal, loaded her on the trailer and back off to sunny Missouri I went. Except; by the time I got back it was slashing down with bloody rain here as well :bang head: So here we go on Friday (Thursday was spent polishing) the bike is a delight, light weight, super responsive and Holy hell rapid. The wife loves riding out back much more than she did on our Honda VT1100 so my testicles are in good shape as we speak. I have a whole slew of OG parts with this bike if anyone needs them; Original exhaust system, brake and clutch levers, turn signals etc etc. I even have the original carb jet kit from when it was converted to a Kerker from it's factory parts.
Yeah, I know there is a sub-section for parts on here but I just thought I'd share the thought while it was in my mind.
Best wishes to you all.

Chris.

Welcome Chris! As a long time VMax owner, I can give you a bit of advice:
1. NEVER lend your bike to ANYONE!
2. You're gonna have a blast with that bike. A VMax is more than a motorcycle, to me it's a lifestyle.
3. Aftermarket seats help your testicles feel even better....

Welcome Chris! As a long time VMax owner, I can give you a bit of advice:
2. You're gonna have a blast with that bike. A VMax is more than a motorcycle, to me it's a lifestyle.
3. Aftermarket seats help your testicles feel even better....

#3 is a must!!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Ohh yea, welcome aboard Chris!! :)

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Welcome Chris! I too have a 2007 that was my second thrill ride for a while. I'm about to share it with some lucky soul because it is up for sale. Enjoy your bike and take the time to individualize it. Make it YOUR Vmax. And to repeat....

the comment about #1 is true because the power comes on so unexpectantly that even guys that have 10 years of bike riding will be caught off guard.

ill agree about all 3. id like to add a 4th

#4 DO NOT accelerate hard into a corner or cloverleaf if your rpms are below 6000 rpm. once vboost opens up in a turn you are done for. from the files of "been there done that" lol.

welcome and good luck.
peace,
evan...

Well hi again folks and thanks for the words of welcome. I picked up my 07 VMax on Tuesday this week in a maelstrom of piss awful weather slap bang in the center of Iowa. Initial appearances were great but the fucking rain spoiled my test ride so I did the deal, loaded her on the trailer and back off to sunny Missouri I went. Except; by the time I got back it was slashing down with bloody rain here as well :bang head: So here we go on Friday (Thursday was spent polishing) the bike is a delight, light weight, super responsive and Holy hell rapid. The wife loves riding out back much more than she did on our Honda VT1100 so my testicles are in good shape as we speak. I have a whole slew of OG parts with this bike if anyone needs them; Original exhaust system, brake and clutch levers, turn signals etc etc. I even have the original carb jet kit from when it was converted to a Kerker from it's factory parts.
Yeah, I know there is a sub-section for parts on here but I just thought I'd share the thought while it was in my mind.
Best wishes to you all.

Chris.

Welcome Chris, all the above is great advice. Enjoy.
Steve-o

the comment about #1 is true because the power comes on so unexpectantly that even guys that have 10 years of bike riding will be caught off guard.

ill agree about all 3. id like to add a 4th

#4 DO NOT accelerate hard into a corner or cloverleaf if your rpms are below 6000 rpm. once vboost opens up in a turn you are done for. from the files of "been there done that" lol.

welcome and good luck.
peace,
evan...

Riding with liter sportbikes and pulling a wheelie while going around a corner, like a cloverleaf, not a 90 degree city street-corner, if you know what you're doing, is going to catch those guys by-surprise. Not something you want to try your first week of ownership, however. I love seeing the H-D riders eyeing the bike in traffic, even though they don't want-to, they can't help themselves, especially if you have a full exhaust on it.

I was on I-95 in Miami FL a couple of days ago, and there was a "scooter-tramp" who was "In the Wind," as his apehangers and open shirt flapping-away showed him to-be ("Helmet? I doan' need no stinkin' helmet!"). He was probably doing about 65 and his bike was sportin' straight pipes and made for T-T use (tavern to tavern). I pulled in behind him, he kept to one side of the lane. I let him see me and then went by him in third, hit VBoost, and kept in it until I shifted, and shifted-again. "What da F_! was that?" Ride free.

I love telling people it's 21 years old.

The wife and I did a Poker run on Saturday with our local bike club "The Noble Eagles" and had a blast. For (perhaps) obvious reasons I didn't hammer on the bike in the interests of marital relations but I do have a question for you guys; Several times I ran the RPM's over 6,000 and didn't notice any real change in power delivery. Don't get me wrong, it was pulling strongly but not quite the "kick in the pants powerband" I was expecting. It must be said that I was probably not throttle to the stop on these occasional bursts but was I expecting to much or is this normal ? I do hear the "whee, whee" sound when I turn on the ignition which is I assume the V-boost powering up btw.
Sorry if this is an ignorant question.

Chris.

Not a dumb question. Mine seems to come on at 6700.....
Do you know if po installed a T- boost switch. Usually you will find it on one side of faux tank on the blk Blakey like by the key.
It can make the vboost come on at 3000,stock setting or off.... Maybe if its there it's set to3000. I found its not as noticeable there,stock is best setting so no real need for it as why would you turn off the vboost lol.....

I don't really 'feel' the vboost come on at 6k unless I'm really hammering it. If I happen to get there while coasting it's not noticeably different from normal acceleration, and that's likely as designed because the servo opens gradually to give an even delivery.

I can always hear the difference though. Starting right around 5.5/6k the engine pitch changes a bit as more gas starts pouring in and that's what tells me I'm entering vboost range.

God I love that sound.

I just went and double checked and I could find no sign of a switch anywhere so perhaps everything is working ok and I just never noticed the boost due to running at less than full chat (wife was on the back).

Hey ZackDaniels, don't I know you from Honda Shadow forums ?

Chris.

Maybe the previous owner has the v-boost on your bike 'wired' ON full time?

Can you hear it cycle through it's test each time you first turn the key on?

Does the VBoost Cycle when you turn the Key On ???
If not it could be disconnected under the Left Scoop or even completely removed if your Bike has a Stage 7 Jet Kit.

You probably won't feel much unless you have it wide open. If you are expecting a 2-stroke like "coming on the pipe" you might be disappointed. It can be felt but is sometimes exaggerated... :biglaugh:

I just went and double checked and I could find no sign of a switch anywhere so perhaps everything is working ok and I just never noticed the boost due to running at less than full chat (wife was on the back).

Chris.

Yeah I'm the same dude, the max is the primary ride now but I still post there regularly because it's a pretty swell community and I've been active there for like 6-7 years now.

Anyway before you sweat it too much I would just go out solo on an empty dry road and kick the bike in the ass. The servo is designed to open gradually as I said, and it's not a simple ON boost when you hit 6k. However if you've got the throttle open good and wide and the RPMs are racing higher it does feel a lot like an instant blast.

You should be able to hear the difference a split second before you feel it. Here's the best youtube vids I've seen that demonstrate a pretty good idea of what to expect out of a vboost.

From low speed demonstration by I don't know:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUkik6KQMhk&list=LLL6Hq2WZ6F14oxwIUKmsSHQ

From mid-range demonstration by the mighty Dustmax :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpQgIH3JaW8&list=LLL6Hq2WZ6F14oxwIUKmsSHQ

I love in the 1st one that the speedo is still going up while he's mid-shift and not under power just from the raw acceleration. :D

Chris.

even with everything wired correctly and working normally, still the vboost cable can be too "slack," not or only partly opening the crossover valve? No idea how to check/adjust, but I`m sure someone on here has!

Well I pulled off the air box cover and checked as best I could see that the V boost was cycling correctly and all looks well. As a previous poster suggested, it may be that I was expecting more of a two stroke type rush rather than a smoother transition into the boost phase. If this bloody rain ever stops I'll get her out on the highway and give it a walloping on a solo run.
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and video links. Very helpful to me.
Cheers all,

Chris.

Hmm did not see the oil light come on in the first video, maybe he wasn't pushing hard enough? :rofl_200:

Back