Oil Additives

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1RadV

Reaction score
Is there a motor oil additive out there that is clutch safe for the Vmax that I might be able to use as a last ditch effort to see if I can either free up or smoth over my slight knocking that only comes in after its running hot. I think it's a possible rod bering or ballance shaft can hear it threw the water pump side pulled the pump all looked fine there. I think this all started because of not getting the washer back in front of the spring that pushes the filter tight to the motor. might have even sucked in pieces of that filter rubber edge.

Seafoam might help.

Start your engines is another.

I ve used both and they clean things up rather well.

But if you have a knocking noise..... chances aren't good.

Todd

^ Those are Fuel Additives.
Personally I simply use Shell Rotella-T 15W-40 Oil and have never had any issues with my Max.
But if you sucked something into the motor, I don't think any additive can fix that.

Is there a motor oil additive out there that is clutch safe for the Vmax that I might be able to use as a last ditch effort to see if I can either free up or smooth over my slight knocking that only comes in after its running hot.

Short answer is no - oil is used to lubricate and cool the innards of the motor. It will minimise any wear but once a bearing has excessive clearance it won't fill the gap.

A thicker oil may help but would introduce more internal drag (reduce power and increased fuel consumption) and as ambient temperatures drop make starting harder and increase warm-up time.

A knock is your motors way of telling you that it isn't well and needs some attention.
At best you may delay the inevitable strip, at worst something could let go in a big way.

I'd guess the only thing that might help is switching to a thicker grade of oil, though that's purely masking the problem at hand. It might provide more of a cushion in the knocking gap which could help to quiet it down.

Though as Midnight said, it's just prolonging the inevitable.

Latest posts

Back