Oil And Filter change

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenreesesr

Reaction score
Sadly, I only put 80 miles on my Vmax last summer. Hopefully that will change. The season is upon us. Do I change the oil and filter?

I don't know. Do you? I know I change my oil & filter - wouldn't hear of letting someone else do it.

Seriously, I have never looked at the calendar to tell me when to change oil & filters. I always go to the book where I've written down the mileage, and calculate total miles ridden to determine the next change. I usually go around 3K miles between changes. That may vary IF I'm close, and getting ready to travel with it.

Sadly, I only put 80 miles on my Vmax last summer. Hopefully that will change. The season is upon us. Do I change the oil and filter?

Dirty oil is corrosive in storage, but 80 miles is not much. I like to start out the season with clean oil. When it's time for an oil change, neutral starts to be a pain to get into. I like to not see black oil in the window, but black doesn't mean it's not usable either. I'm also obsessive about it.

I only put on about 1K miles a year but I change oil/filter every season.

I wouldn't, not for 80 miles. Definitely not the filter .

With my bike, I'm probably more concerned about the fuel leaking through the carbs and contaminating the oil haha. I change it once a season even if I don't reach 3000miles a season.

Patches O'Houlihan said it best... "I love the smell of queef in the morning"

Changing up before storing is paramount. Contaminants in used oil can damage bearing surfaces and other components over years. 80 isn't much, if it's quality filter it is fine to leave it. Oil, meh it ain't much either.

BUT DON'T LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN! Ride that Vmax! It's crying out for attention from it's owner!

I changed the oil and filter in mine, valvoline 10 w 50 and there was no washer on the filter spring, so I modified a stainless steel washer to fit.

Latest posts

Back