Oil capacity 09 Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxout1200

Reaction score
I've been going through the service manual on the new Vmax. The Beast holds an awful lot of oil according to the service manual. Maybe thats where some of the extra weight is comming from. What bothers me some is that it appears to retain over a quart of old oil in the system when performing a oil and filter change.

Total Engine oil amount is 6.24 US qt.

Without oil filter cartridge replacement it calls for 4.55 US qt.

With oil filter replacement it calls for 4.97 US qt.

That means your leaving 1.27 US Qts of dirty oil in the engine after each change?

Well maybe thats not so bad as I just checked and the 1st generatin vmax service manual and it holds a total of 5 US qt and takes 4 US qt with oil filter replacement.

Yea, you can drain oil from a few places to get more of the old out but most of the time it's not needed.

Sean

I wonder if running synthetic would increase performance and engine life? I suppose warranty would be void if doing so??

I don't think so since the recommended Yamalube is fully synthetic, innit?

I don't think so. Normal Yamalube 10w40 is a dino oil. I'm going to go synthetic around 3k. Until then, I am going with the normal Yamalube stuff.

Yamaha has a dino oil and a blend. The racing oil is a blend and what I used on my 95 Max. It got too expensive even buying by the case so I now use Mobil 1 20W50 on my 97. (No friction modifiers). Have no clutch slipping problems but do not drag race either...

Yamaha has a dino oil and a blend. The racing oil is a blend and what I used on my 95 Max. It got too expensive even buying by the case so I now use Mobil 1 20W50 on my 97. (No friction modifiers). Have no clutch slipping problems but do not drag race either...

Yep, the black is the dino, the silver is the blend, and the gold is the full synth as far as I can tell.

However, there is no silver or gold 10w40 AFAIK.

I don't think so. Normal Yamalube 10w40 is a dino oil. I'm going to go synthetic around 3k. Until then, I am going with the normal Yamalube stuff.

I'm going to run 'dino' oil for the 1st 1000 mile to insure the rings seat. After, I plan to see if there's a 15-40 full synthetic out there. The only draw back to syn is the clutch, if you like to 'ruff up' your scooter. I run 20-50 Amsoil in my old scooter w/ no worries, but I normally do roll ons.

I understand that the reason for lighter weight oils is to improve horse power. I heard from my dealer's chief mechanic that the high buck oil for the pumpkin is for the same reason.

BTW: 'Dino' oil/ fossil fuels aren't truly from dead lizards, like I learned in the classroom. Turns out, oil is formed from two elements deep in the earth, compressed to over 1500 psi, along with the earths heat, turns into oil. Then the newly formed oil is slung outwards by the earth's rotation, to 'shallow/ surface' pockets. Russia has known this since 1946, when Stalin knew oil was going to be a huge item, sent out teams to investigate the formation of oil. The Russians have drilled down over 12 miles and have found oil. Many scientists now believe the earth is no more than 10k years old. Just a little FFT. Class dismissed. :biglaugh:

I just read my owners manual and it calls for less oil It is a canadian model and was wondering what the difference was?

BTW: 'Dino' oil/ fossil fuels aren't truly from dead lizards, like I learned in the classroom. Turns out, oil is formed from two elements deep in the earth, compressed to over 1500 psi, along with the earths heat, turns into oil. Then the newly formed oil is slung outwards by the earth's rotation, to 'shallow/ surface' pockets. Russia has known this since 1946, when Stalin knew oil was going to be a huge item, sent out teams to investigate the formation of oil. The Russians have drilled down over 12 miles and have found oil. Many scientists now believe the earth is no more than 10k years old. Just a little FFT. Class dismissed. :biglaugh:

I was right with you up to that point.... :ummm:

Back