Oil Change

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey I have a few questions, I drained my oil today and noticed that the oil filter flat washer and oil drain plug washer are missing, also I bough an oil filter that has 2 o-rings. I know where the large one goes but does anyone know where the smaller one goes? Also where can I get the washers that are missing? Thanks in advance!

Hey I have a few questions, I drained my oil today and noticed that the oil filter flat washer and oil drain plug washer are missing, also I bough an oil filter that has 2 o-rings. I know where the large one goes but does anyone know where the smaller one goes? Also where can I get the washers that are missing? Thanks in advance!
I got all the parts needed put all back together and after starting engine a see a small drip seeping out of the oil filter bolt? The oil filter that I ordered had the 2 o-rings included, I installed them and smeared all areas with oil, any ideas on why I have a new leak now?

I have a Gen 1 and I am not sure which model you have or if it might be different. The Gen 1 design is same as my other Yamaha models.

If you have the same design as the Gen 1, and it's leaking around the filter bolt, then there is something wrong with the seal of the O-ring on the filter bolt. Note the tightness of the bolt doesn't change the seal.

Since you smeared the O-ring with oil, it will likely expand and the problem may go away in a day or so.

If not, then the O-ring is probably pinched or there a chuck of dirt preventing it from doing it's job. All you can do is drain the oil again and inspect the O-ring and the mating surfaces

You WILL find the problem without too much heartache.

I have a Gen 1 and I am not sure which model you have or if it might be different. The Gen 1 design is same as my other Yamaha models.

If you have the same design as the Gen 1, and it's leaking around the filter bolt, then there is something wrong with the seal of the O-ring on the filter bolt. Note the tightness of the bolt doesn't change the seal.

Since you smeared the O-ring with oil, it will likely expand and the problem may go away in a day or so.

If not, then the O-ring is probably pinched or there a chuck of dirt preventing it from doing it's job. All you can do is drain the oil again and inspect the O-ring and the mating surfaces

You WILL find the problem without too much heartache.
Thanks for the input, I noticed that the new o-ring was a bit smaller and rounder hopefully it will swell. If not I will take it apart and check it all out. I have a 1985 California 1200 Model.

Thanks for the input, I noticed that the new o-ring was a bit smaller and rounder hopefully it will swell. If not I will take it apart and check it all out. I have a 1985 California 1200 Model.
Update I took the oil filter assembly apart and found that the small o-ring was split and the big one was loose. I replaced them with the originals and put all back together. All is great and I only got a few drops of light dirty oil which was just what was left on the outer cover due to unwiped oil. Thanks for the advice and I will write the filter company just to let them know, but not to harass them as I never want to cause any issues with vendors on the internet just to give important feedback about their products as it was given a 5 star rating.

Back