OIl Change

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris08170817

Reaction score
I am about to do an oil change in my 2004 and I would like to know what oil should I use my clutch pack was sticking after the bike has been sitting and I am thinkin g maybe due to none use and water in the oil
thanx

Generally speaking, oil is oil - if it's clean. As you've discovered though, motorcycle clutches do NOT like friction modifiers. Oil containers for retail sale will have a circle with formulation information. The bottom half of the circle typically refers to the aforementioned friction modifiers. If the bottom half of the circle is BLANK, you should be good. If there is information contained there (like these), I would keep shopping.Capture.JPG

I have always used a good diesel oil - Delo springs to mind. Never had a hint of a problem either. It's considerably cheaper than synthetic. Synthetic does seem to help with cold starts and can slightly reduce engine operating temps.

I am about to do an oil change in my 2004 and I would like to know what oil should I use my clutch pack was sticking after the bike has been sitting and I am thinking maybe due to none use and water in the oil
thanx

If a bike is unused for any length of time it is normal for the clutch pack to stick and is not indicative of a fault.

As for which oil, folk will have their favorites but any good quality oil that meets API grade SE, SF or SG or greater (current classifications are SJ, SL, SM, SN & SN plus) SAE 10W40 oil will be fine provided, as Mr Desert-Max points out, it does not have friction modifiers.
IMO there is little of no benefit in using a fully synthetic oil.

Assuming there isn't an internal leak (coolant) the only other way you would get water in the oil (bar dropping it into a lake) would be if you do lots of short runs and the motor does not reach operating temperature.
Once it gets there any water will boil off.

It's like asking what is your favourite pizza topping, each person you ask will give a different answer.

I've thrown this into mine: Shell Advance AX7 10W-40 4T Motorcycle Engine Oil Semi Synthetic.

It was the best value semi-synthetic oil from a brand I've heard of. The engine does not need a huge amount so it is false economy to skimp, after all, it is the lifeblood of the engine.

1607639093321.png

It is a topic that has been...... well discussed. If you are looking for a recommendation try Shell Rotella, it is a heavy duty diesel oil that has been well documented to not only work well in our engines but has particular benefits to our wet clutch. It has a high zinc content that does a clutch and motor good. Motorcycle specific oils are more expensive and more marketing than benefit and synthetic oils with friction reducers have been, once again, well documented to cause wet clutch slippage.
Shell Rotella T4 Triple Protection SAE 15W-40 Engine Oil

For over 10 yrs I used standard Wolfs Head oil with no problems , had an 80 HP shot of NOS and a Barnett Clutch with a modification just like the double DD {remove wire and half disc } it worked Great , when I tried the Rotella T my transmission seemed to get less positive in shifting changed back to Wolfs Head and no more problems guess I got lucky.

oil-Rotella 15w40, Bosch 3323 filter. I like the 3223 for it's capacity, large surface area for cooling, and large filter material. Spin on adapters needed on early Gen 1's.

Latest posts

Back