oil cooler idea

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeanMax

Reaction score
I have been thinking about adding an oil cooler for a while, but searching for a bolt on kit has been hard to find. Found some from japan that cost an arm and a leg. I ran the idea past John at PCW but he said the coolers they use are to restrictive. (there like a radiator. Oil goes into a a tank, through a bunch of tiny tube to the to the other side.) Pressure drops because the oil pump gears will bleed off pressure trying to pump through the cooler. The main bearings are the fed off of this and he has had a few people with main bearing failures with these kits. I researched a bit and found the 96 and up Vmax can use the same oil filter as an 01 and up Honda Civic. There are oil cooler blocks that mount between the engine block and the filter available from Summit.com like the kits from Japan offer, but you can use something similar to a power steering cooler instead of the radiator style. Just an idea. If anyone has some experience or knowledge in this please let me know!

I've sold one kit earlier in the year and it seemed like it was going to work out well. They aren't really needed though. Pretty much any kit will work and you don't push all the oil through it at any given time. Still, as I noted I haven't ever bothered as it's not needed.

Thank you Sean. Was running out of ideas for a winter project lol. Not necessary but would be neat and fun to buid. :biglaugh:

Look for KJ's build albums. He did an oil cooler last year that turned out decent too.
If I can get pics of the kit I sold earlier this year i'll post em up. Cost was around $150-$175 if I remember correctly.

Sean

Ford had a power steering cooler w/higher-flow tubing, a simple u-shaped finned tubing, which should be fairly-easy to adapt. Probably not pretty. First one is from an F150. Junkyards should have a good assortment of them.
images
images

Back