Oil coolers as radiators.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

Sharky

Reaction score
Most of the coolers I can find are -10 inlet size...5/8".
I'm guessing this is too small for the cooling system....or is it ???
Coolers with larger inlets are like 4 times the price....I could get 2 & get new larger fittings welded on and still save big $$$$.

Thoughts please.....

Rusty McNeil

Reaction score
What are you trying to do?
Two smaller ones with smaller opening run in parallel with each other or the stock radiator might work,
By itself or in series definitely
Not.

Sharky

Reaction score
Not sure what you meant there mate....

I've checked volume and 2 x 19 row/330mm long coolers is 0.38l compared ti stock max being 0.375 so capacity is good.
Plus I can mount a fan on each one and put air deflectors to improve airflow.

As I said, main concern is if -10 fitting will restrict flow. ...time to talk to my plumber mate....

Rusty McNeil

Reaction score
I think that size fitting will restrict flow if expected to handle all of the flow.
But in parallel setup, meaning flow splits off into two paths, half going through each cooler, and then joining back together into one path, it might be big enough.

Are you replacing your radiator or trying to augment it?

If I was trying to augment it I would parallel the main radiator.

When I say series set up I mean all the flow going through one radiator and then the next radiator, which could be too restrictive.

You'll never know till you try though. The plumbing on a series setup would be a lot cleaner I believe.

[email protected]

Reaction score
I think that size fitting will restrict flow if expected to handle all of the flow.
But in parallel setup, meaning flow splits off into two paths, half going through each cooler, and then joining back together into one path, it might be big enough.

Are you replacing your radiator or trying to augment it?

If I was trying to augment it I would parallel the main radiator.

When I say series set up I mean all the flow going through one radiator and then the next radiator, which could be too restrictive.

You'll never know till you try though. The plumbing on a series setup would be a lot cleaner I believe.

I would agree. If run parallel I think it would be ok. In series I believe it may be too restrictive