Oil fill level

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty McNeil

Reaction score
It was talked about somewhere recently about over filling the oil slightly to get rid of the low level light.

All this time I had thought it WAS overfilled slightly because the middle of the sight glass was where it was supposed to be.

I have always brought it up to the top of the sightglass and nary a light.

For the first time ever today I actually noticed that there are marks/lines in the metal around the sight glass that clearly show acceptable high and low levels just like a dipstick on a car.

When I fill my car it always gets filled to the highest "acceptable" mark on the dipstick so I guess it's ok on the bike too?

Hey,
I've always filled the Max to the max on the window. Those of us who have those old slow ZX11's will even fill a bit above the top of the site glass as oil drain back may be a problem in these kwakers.
The oil disapears shortly after starting the motor and I don't think that the crank is hitting and splashing the oil if you've raised the level 1/2" or so.
Lew

my 06 oil sight glass is always full when bike is level even under rpms sight glass stays full Manual calls for 4.02 quarts think thats to high a level....do the newer max take more oil ?

Yeah, it's a bit high. There are two marks on the right side of the window in the casing. The level shouldn't be above the upper mark.

Mark

OATA

Engine off and on level ground and NOT on the center stand or the side stand. Just hold it level.:thumbs up:

Wouldn't hurt to let it sit for a few minutes and let the oil drain down a bit too.

OATA

Engine off and on level ground and NOT on the center stand or the side stand. Just hold it level.:thumbs up:

Wouldn't hurt to let it sit for a few minutes and let the oil drain down a bit too.
ya i turn my bike off hold it level and glass is full.... tilt it.just off center to kickstand side and you can see the oil line

When I change my oil and filter I put 4 quarts in the crankcase and let it go. I don't need to add oil before the next change is due. At a certain point it becomes a non-issue. I have my front dropped down an inch so that throws off the sight glass. Plus I have filled it to the upper level and then looked at how much oil is left in the last quart container. Maybe a quarter cup or less. Hardly enough to cause any problems. When I first got my max I read posts about how the red light coming on was an indication on the tune. I quickly figured out that the red light coming on was a indication of how much oil is in the engine.
Dave

very rarely will you get 4 quarts back in after an oil change. This is a considerable amount of oil caught in areas that don't drail well (transmission area and others). Typically I only see a little over 3 quarts when doing an oil change. 4 quarts on a brand new engine.

Running in the middle or the bottom of the window will get oil a little lower in the crankcase and thus improve power slightly. I personally like to fill to the top line.

Also, the oil level light will go out with the first quart of oil when added to a new engine usually. It is a level light and not a pressure light so the bike running or shut off makes no difference.

Sean Morley

very rarely will you get 4 quarts back in after an oil change. This is a considerable amount of oil caught in areas that don't drail well (transmission area and others). Typically I only see a little over 3 quarts when doing an oil change. 4 quarts on a brand new engine.

Running in the middle or the bottom of the window will get oil a little lower in the crankcase and thus improve power slightly. I personally like to fill to the top line.

Also, the oil level light will go out with the first quart of oil when added to a new engine usually. It is a level light and not a pressure light so the bike running or shut off makes no difference.

Sean Morley
top line has to be very very close to 4 qts with a filter change

Sean Morley
A bunch stays up in the heads too.

Latest posts

Back