Oil Filter Bolt Torque...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ted J

Reaction score
Working on a '94 VMAX and putting the oil filter back on. What is the oil filter bolt torque spec? I tried searching around for it but wasn't able to find it.

Also, how do you know if you have the right amount of oil? Have the bike level and look at the window I assume... but how high on the window is considering full?

Thanks!

Ted

23 ft/lbs. There are high and low marks just to the right of the sight glass.

Hey maleko89, how about the oil plug with a new crush sleeve on it? Trying to find the torque on it but can't seem to find it.

The bolts on the side of the engine down by your feet that you take off to get access to the clutch slave cylinder, you don't by chance have the torque for that as well do you?

Thanks in advance!

Oil drain plug is 32 ft/lbs.

Middle gearcase cover bolts are 89 in/lbs.

pls make sure you notice one is in lbs one is ft lbs

Yup, I noticed that, thank you for pointing it out though. I know those little bolts couldn't take it in foot pounds of torque! Even at 89 inch pounds it was getting pretty tight.

There is a wire hanging down under that cover area and I wonder if it was a ground that I was suppose to tighten up on the slave cylinder when I put it back on. If so, I think since I got it back together I'll just extend that wire and ground it on a bolt on the bottom of the chassis somewhere.

Yup, I noticed that, thank you for pointing it out though. I know those little bolts couldn't take it in foot pounds of torque! Even at 89 inch pounds it was getting pretty tight.

There is a wire hanging down under that cover area and I wonder if it was a ground that I was suppose to tighten up on the slave cylinder when I put it back on. If so, I think since I got it back together I'll just extend that wire and ground it on a bolt on the bottom of the chassis somewhere.

my cover was actually weaping a bit until i put them to 105-110 in lbs and they didn't strip so i know they can take at least that.

I always use german torque, gooden tight ! Never leaks for me

LOL - The problem is my Dad use to be a Diesel Mechanic and learning from him gooden tight is sometimes wayy too tight! :) I normally can just do it by feel but I've had enough things surprise me on smaller engines so since I have torque wrenches I might as well use them I figure.

the K&Ns have the torque value on them, and i've never had one leak.

the K&Ns have the torque value on them, and i've never had one leak.

I was talking about the case cover bolts... but on oil filters (spin on kind) I just follow the directions. But with the bolt design on the older Vmax's and it being so tight and somewhat stripped head where I had to drill it out I wanted to make sure the new bolt got torqued to the correct spec. :biglaugh:

I've heard others suggust welding a socket onto the bolt to save future hassles

I should have done that but once I got to drilling it out part way I had to go all the way type thing. Replaced the bolt and all is good now. Actually, once I get the carbs back together and the gas tank replaced (rusted tank caused me to do a total carb breakdown) I'll be making it run good and then selling it. It's my brother's bike and I'm fixing it for him and he just doesn't have the time to ride it now so the new owner should have a tip top running bike with a good clutch (rebuilt the master and slave for the clutch as well ha ha)

Back