Oil Filter?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max03

Reaction score
Time for my first service on my bike, went to the yamaha shop to get oil and filter. I am going to run yamalube non synthetic until the next service and then switch over to full synthetic. My question is about oil filters. I have always run k&n 303 on all of my bikes. When i asked for a k&n they advised me to steer clear from the k&n filters. They said they have seen a couple motors blown up one on an r6 and raptor. They also said k&n filters have been banned from ama events. Are the oem oil filters good / best to run? Just looking for feedback from you guys! Thanks

I usually buy hi-flo oil filters as they're the ones most readily available here,
I've never tried a k&n filter but for your shop to say not to use them because they've seen a couple of blown motors with k&n's fitted is not relevant to anything without more details, how often was the filter changed, how high mileage were the engines, how badly ridden were the vehicles that the engine blew up in, etc., there are many people using k&n oil filters whose engines have not blown up,
I also suspect that your shop people have come across blown engines that had other types of oil filters occasionally too,
maybe your shop does not stock/sell the k&n's so want you to buy what they have ?

There WAS a problem
With K&N filters. From
My understanding it has been resolved.

Hope so, running one on my 18, and also on my wife's Vstar 1100. I'll be changing mine in spring with the oil. I'll only be changing the oil on my wife's Vstar. Unless I feel like pulling the exhaust off again, we'll see how froggy I feel in 4 months or so. One filter I will never ever buy for any reason is a fram. Wife bought one for her car, I made her take it back and get a mobile 1 filter. Then I showed her a YouTube video of the filter comparison. When the guy pulled the filter element apart and other brands were double the length, her eyes almost fell out of her head lol. Walmart don't stock her Mopar filter anymore for some reason. Maybe I'll switch over to a stocker filter this oil change. Was easy though, AZ has the k&n in stock for my 18 so I would just get oil and filter there, bummer.

Back