Oil inside airbox

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sethtreadaway

Reaction score
Question for anyone who may have rhe knowledge.....im gettin more oil in my airbox than i like ....i do ride hard alot .....but im aware that the crank case vent hose runs to the air box an from vacum it removes crank case pressure......is it possible to maybe put a PCV VALVE in the end of the hose vs havin oil always bein sucked from my motor?

You want the crankcase to vent properly, because your could end up blowing out seals and worsening your symptoms, and cause increased piston ring blow-by.

In the threads is a set of instructions for the Dynojet Stage 7 jet kit, which has a vapor collector canister, and a baffled return to the oil filler cap. You might try that.

Sure, my stage 7 “orifice” has something like that.

Last edited:
Question for anyone who may have rhe knowledge.....im gettin more oil in my airbox than i like ....i do ride hard alot .....but im aware that the crank case vent hose runs to the air box an from vacum it removes crank case pressure......is it possible to maybe put a PCV VALVE in the end of the hose vs havin oil always bein sucked from my motor?
I'd be interested in knowing what oil you use and how often you change it.

AND, what's the level of oil? No more then 2/3rds up the glass or it will push oil into the airbox!

1.If you do not flush engine, you have stuck piston rings.
2.Very common problem for 2006 Nissan Maxima /Murano, people install "oil catcher". This exactly what it does, it collects oil before it goes into air box. I installed oil catcher but don't remember which one. I think, some fuel filters can be used as oil catcher. Go to Nissan Maxima forum.
https://forums.nicoclub.com/

You could put a stage seven restricor in place and see if that helps with the oil mist control.

You want the crankcase to vent properly, because your could end up blowing out seals and worsening your symptoms, and cause increased piston ring blow-by.

In the threads is a set of instructions for the Dynojet Stage 7 jet kit, which has a vapor collector canister, and a baffled return to the oil filler cap. You might try that.
Just a thought here. How would setting up a Catch Can for venting the Crank Case work? A smaller vision of the ones used on cars. I have this on my car and works great. Just have to unscrew the can and pour the oil back in the engine every month or 2. The reason for the catch can is to trap the oil ( Doesn't blow back to burn in the engine) and not the gases (Sends the gases back in the engine to burn).

Attachments

• P8280002_LI.jpg
    P8280002_LI.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 11
Just a thought here. How would setting up a Catch Can for venting the Crank Case work? A smaller vision of the ones used on cars. I have this on my car and works great. Just have to unscrew the can and pour the oil back in the engine every month or 2. The reason for the catch can is to trap the oil ( Doesn't blow back to burn in the engine) and not the gases (Sends the gases back in the engine to burn).
That has been done. Some have put a puke can but similar to stage 7, had oil automatically drain back into the crankcase. I used to have a pic of someone using a coca cola can. Others used a small K&N filter.

I have one of Sean's kits which add an additional breather hose where the oil fill cap was and then runs up to the air box. I wring the daylights out of my bike and have never had a issue at all. Steve-O runs a stage 7 set up and has also never had oil coughing up into his air box. IMO forget the band aid and figure out why your having a problem.

I have one of Sean's kits which add an additional breather hose where the oil fill cap was and then runs up to the air box. I wring the daylights out of my bike and have never had a issue at all. Steve-O runs a stage 7 set up and has also never had oil coughing up into his air box. IMO forget the band aid and figure out why your having a problem.
In principle I'd go along with that on the basis that it is only likely to get worse if caused by blow-by.
In the meantime Sean's suggestion of the restrictor seems reasonable.
I'd be less inclined to go the catch can route but something like I put together may be an alternative?

Breather-compnents.jpg

Breather-assembled.jpg

This has four outlets to discharge into each carb (I have flatslides....been to the doctor about it but he says nothing can be done) but it could be modified to for a single outlet.

This arrangement has the advantage of returning the condensed oil back to the sump.
I originally had the S7 breather kit but IMO it is cheap cr*p!.

I kinda figured maybe something a lot simpler thats why i used a pcv valve for reference.....jus somthing that wouldnt restrict any venting from the crank case...but hold back on the oil rite there at the crank case vent tube ....so the thought was to be were you wouldn't half to worrie about recycling the oil back to the motor or empty any catch can .. .but instead in theory simply no oil would ever leave the motor at all yet still relive crank case pressure.....make sence?

There is a school of thought that says not to recycle the oil as it will contain water (condensed steam, a product of combination).
Condensation in oil is a natural occurrence.
Once the motor is up to operating temperature then under normal circumstances I would expect that any water would have boiled off and not be an issue.
I've had that arrangement for many years now without any issue of signs of emulsification.

EMULSIFICATION ? The process of dispersing two or more immiscible liquids together to form a semistable mixture. Cool, I learn something new ever time I get on the forum. I had to look that up then I felt stupid which I am most of the time. I have a problem with oil being blown out my oil fill plug. O ring looks good but I may try a new one.

Back