Oil leak from Hell

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurk66

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have an 85 model Vmax that has developed an oil leak from hell. I cannot get it to seal to save my life. It is leaking between the breather cover and the engine block. You know the oblong two piece cover located between the heads that has both water and oil in it. It is leaking in the middle of the rear side and draining down the left side of the engine making quite a mess. I have replaced the orings 3 times to no avail. Now I took it to the local cycle shop and asked them to fix it. Today I received a call from the shop and the tech told me he had it apart and together twice with new orings and yamabond and only slowed the leak down. Has anyone experienced this issue? Have any ideas on how to seal this problem area? I am at my wits end.:bang head:

Since you're in Wichita, you are within minutes of one of the best guys for your problem. You need to PM Sean Morley (One2dmax). He's in Wichita, and is a vmax wizard, site sponsor, and all around nice guy. Good luck and welcome to the board. Everyone here is really great. We'll help you get it figured out, but seriously, just ride over to Sean's place.

Are you sure the leak is in the case and not on the oil splitter? the Y shaped metal tube that connects both heads oil galleries and that case? I had a fricking leak on the rear head banjo due collapsed banjo that made me assemble and disassemble the full engine top 3 times and i was only able to fix it when i replaced that part that Sean sent me by the way...

I want to say I appreciate all the responses. Here is an update on my oil leak problem. I am sure the oil leak is coming from between the breather assy and the engine block. I had the shop replace the breather assy with one from another engine to see if the problem was with the cover itself. That did not help. I still have oil leaking from the same place as before. :ummm: So, I went ahead and picked up the bike from the shop since they could not fix it either. :damn angry: I think I will make an appointment with Sean this week and see if he has any advise on this issue.

If its an invisible crack only with penetrating UV sensitive dyes can you check it...

Problem solved, no more oil leak. Thank you to Sean and Morley's Muscle for all the help getting to the bottom of this issue.

Here is some info on the problem and solution.

Upon careful inspection of the area where the oil was leaking, it appeared to be bubbling or spitting onto the breather cover. So, I disassembled the carbs, intakes, and breather assembly. Here is what I saw.

Attachments

• 20130514_225151[1].jpg
    20130514_225151[1].jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 69
As you can see from the previous photo, the timing chain on the rear head had rubbed a hole in the case. I guess as some point in the past, the timing chain guide that is supposed to prevent this issue was left out. I slid a replacement guide in and had the case welded. See photo of welded case. Put it all back together, and no leaks.:biglaugh:

Attachments

• 20130515_195601[1].jpg
    20130515_195601[1].jpg
    60 KB · Views: 57
How in hell did you not notice what had to be a very loud noise from the camchain slapping the crankcase as the engine was running? I'd say you were extremely lucky the engine didn't jump time, making even more expensive noises!

It made a really odd noise and less tapping then you'd think. AND it only made it at just the right rpm's (about 3500-4000).

Sean

Latest posts

Back