Oil leak left side

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCn

Reaction score
Hi, after running and standing still for the night I notice a small 1-1/2 inch puddle of oil ynder the engine. The puddle is directly below the left foot peg and when touching the engine underneath I get oily fingers. I have had the bike at a shop where they believed that the problem was the seal for the clutch rod, that was replaced by a new Yamaha rubber part (it was a Yamaha shop that made the job).

No success! The leak is still there, does anyone have a clue of where to start looking? What is the most common leakage points?

Fwiw I cheked the engine oil level and for a warm engine I get a full sight glass when the bike is on its wheels and standing straight. Is that ok? Should I check the level with a cool engine? The reason for asking this is that I heard that the engine could leak if the oil level is to high.

have a look at the rubber boot on the front of the shaft where it meets the engine, I had oil on my frame by the left footrest, when I took the swing arm off to paint it the boot had a lot of oil in it which I think came from the final drive as in a seal on the shaft may not be working, after I reinstalled it there was no oil by the footrest for a while, but now I've done a few hundred miles there is signs that oil is building up there again, maybe yours is a similar issue, wipe everything clean and keep checking after some short rides to see what gets oily first

have a look at the rubber boot on the front of the shaft where it meets the engine, I had oil on my frame by the left footrest, when I took the swing arm off to paint it the boot had a lot of oil in it which I think came from the final drive as in a seal on the shaft may not be working, after I reinstalled it there was no oil by the footrest for a while, but now I've done a few hundred miles there is signs that oil is building up there again, maybe yours is a similar issue, wipe everything clean and keep checking after some short rides to see what gets oily first
I felt directly under and around the rubber boot but there was no oil present. I will check more during the next few days.

Shift shat seal
Wires coming out of stator/stator grommet
Nuetral/gear position switch loose
Stator cover gasket
Mid gear cover gasket (or bolt with copper washer near bottom center)

Shift shat seal
Wires coming out of stator/stator grommet
Nuetral/gear position switch loose
Stator cover gasket
Mid gear cover gasket (or bolt with copper washer near bottom center)
Thanks I will look into this as well!

This might be a long shot but anyway.. Yesterday after a 30 minute ride I tried to restart the engine after shutting it off but the battery did not have enough power. Only slow rotation until finally stop - just as if the battery was empty. Could this be reltaed to the oil leak problem in some way?

This might be a long shot but anyway.. Yesterday after a 30 minute ride I tried to restart the engine after shutting it off but the battery did not have enough power. Only slow rotation until finally stop - just as if the battery was empty. Could this be reltaed to the oil leak problem in some way?
The empty battery was caused by a faulty rectifier, a new one has been ordered. So this had nothing to do with the oil leakage.

Update regarding oil leakage, I have changed the washer on the drain plug next to the gear shifter, it looked suspicious. I replaced the copper washer with a Tredo washer made for hydraulic systems.

Doubtful, but plenty of threads here on the hot start issues.

Latest posts

Back