Oil leak on stator cover, and not charging good.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vmaxnewfie

Reaction score
I went for an overnight ride about 300 miles each way over the weekend. On the way out I noticed oil all over the side stand when I arrived. Turns out the gasket is leaking on the top of stator cover and running down the side of the bike. When I got home, the leak worse by now, I plugged in the battery tender, but this time it stayed on charge for 6 hours :ummm:. After a long highway ride the battery should be well charged.

Anyone think that these problems would be related?

I read the sticky on R/R mod. Went out to take off the rear peg, and the darn thing won`t come off! The front moves back and forth, but the rear part won`t move. Can I take the section of frame off up by the rear shock mount?

A '98 will already have the upgraded R/R....try running the R/R red wire directly to the + side of the battery (with a 30A in-line fuse) and the black to the - side. Could also be the battery is heading south.....:confused2:

Went out to take off the rear peg, and the darn thing won`t come off! The front moves back and forth, but the rear part won`t move.

The rear peg mount bracket is mounted on a dowel, some times it takes a good bit of purswasion to get it off.

A '98 will already have the upgraded R/R....try running the R/R red wire directly to the + side of the battery (with a 30A in-line fuse) and the black to the - side.
Could also be the battery is heading south.....:confused2:

+1
Suspect the battery first, when having charging problems. Don't get fooled like so many others (including me) by assuming the stator or RR is the cause of the problem. Have the battery load-tested, before digging into the other components.
However, go ahead and do the wiring mod as Dan suggests. Simple and inexpensive, usually results in an extra volt or so of charging rate.
Also check the three-wire stator to RR connector. Could be burnt or corroded. A common weak point on the Max, as well as other bikes.
Takes it easy, Bye!

I get 12.9V on battery, however it has only been unplugged from tender for 1 day. And I get 13.8V with engine turning 2500 - 3000 rpm. When I run the fan, the bike don't want to idle, and I already have the running lights unplugged and a LED tail light. The battery was new start of season last year, and always kept on battery tender. It is only a cheap battery tho. I'll do the R/R mod anyway in hopes to get a better charge, but I bet the cheap battery might be the issue.

If you have to pull off of the the stator cover for the leak oil.

Check the pick up wire, and the stator wire right where it go's in the motor.

Had wire bear right at the rubber blocks. Also check connects real good.

Check 30 amp main fuse real good... Check the red wire of the battery main wire going to the connecter.

Attachments

• P1050087.jpg
    P1050087.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 26
  • P1050098.jpg
    P1050098.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 26
  • P1050905.jpg
    P1050905.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 25
  • P1050924.jpg
    P1050924.jpg