Oil level myth

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dante1604

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I changed oil and oil filter yesterday. In manual they said 3.4 liter if you change oil filter also. But when i checked the oil level window, the oil level was over the upper level.

Today i drain the oil about 1 liter then the oil level is between the upper and lower level like it should be. But it's 1 liter drained and i think it's too much.

Any advice will be deeply appreciated.

Just make sure the oil is at least half way up the sight glass and you will be ok. I always took my time and only left a 1/8 of glass showing. so 7/8 of glass with oil but you have to add it at small amounts at a time and wait at least 10 min before adding a little more. If you do this you wont see the low oil light come on under hard acceleration or wheelies.

Anywhere between the lines is fine.
Dont be overly concerned about hitting the exact amount in the manual.

Remember, some always stays in the case when you change it.

I always start the bike, let it warm up. Then wait a few minutes before finishing off the oil amount.

I leave mine in the middle of the window. The oil light comes on often. I keep an eye on the pressure gauge, it always has good pressure so the oil light is of no concern to me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The thing to remember, the light is an oil LEVEL light, not oil pressure. The oil level sensor is at the front of the pan, and the pickup for the pump is at the back, so when you get on it, the oil will slosh to the back, and the light will come on, but the oil pick up is still deep in oil.

Anywhere between the hash marks is fine for oil level.

I use the oil light to determine tune....if under heavy acceleration it stays lit into 4th gear then my tune is good. :punk:

But as already mentioned, anywhere between the lines on the site window is fine.

I agree with you guy's but my light kept coming on because of the people i ride with. LOL. I hated not knowing for sure if oil pump failed. I had a pressure gauge but with a blink of an eye a hooligan in Michigan will get the jump on you. Just right amount of oil is an easy fix and this way you always keep a close eye on the oil.

Thank you guys.

From today ride i notice it is easier to shift to neutral and the engine getting hot faster after drain oil.

Well, the traffic here is lawless and the road quality is from 18th century, i barely experienced the heavy acceleraion or oil light flashing. Must be more reckless. Lol.

I guess oil pressure gauge will be good investment for this time.

Yes, the acceleration light. If it's not coming on, I check the clutch and the tune.
I usually get most of a gallon in after draining the oil "Cop Runner like" You never get it all out. There is oil in the heads and other nooks and crannies you can't get to. All my stuff gets drained until the drips stop. I drain the middle gear cover lowest bolt, and get a little more. And, there is another drain bolt, but it's not worth the effort. You won't get that service from a dealer, I assure you. The mechanic would be asked what the hell is taking so long. After the major outflow the plug gets shoved in and the oil poured in. You get what you pay for, which is "screwed" sometimes. Call me anal, but I like looking at the indicator window and seeing clean oil for a while.
Steve

Hi everyone,

I changed oil and oil filter yesterday. In manual they said 3.4 liter if you change oil filter also. But when i checked the oil level window, the oil level was over the upper level.

Today i drain the oil about 1 liter then the oil level is between the upper and lower level like it should be. But it's 1 liter drained and i think it's too much.

Any advice will be deeply appreciated.
Did you start the engine and let it run before you first checked the level?

@std354: Thanks, I changed the oil myself so the next time I will try what you said.
@blaxmax: Yes, I did. The oil level drop a little bit but still higher than upper level.

Did you check it when the bike is level AND after it was warmed up then shut off and allowed a few minutes to drain (as stated in the owners manual).
I keep mine at about 3/4 up in the sight glass.

Attachments

• Oil-Level-Vmax.jpg
    Oil-Level-Vmax.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 45
@Dman999: i did exactly what manual say and the oil level after shut off engine was about 1/2 the sight window (that's was after drain 1 liter, of course)

@std354: Thanks, I changed the oil myself so the next time I will try what you said.
@blaxmax: Yes, I did. The oil level drop a little bit but still higher than upper level.

Put her on the side stand for draining that lower bolt. It should have a copper washer on it.
Steve

Steve-o, I have never pulled the lower bolt in the middle gear cover with the base full (only pulled as part of a full system oil change)....will oil drain from the base and the transmission from that bolt hole or just the transmission?

Steve-o, I have never pulled the lower bolt in the middle gear cover with the base full (only pulled as part of a full system oil change)....will oil drain from the base and the transmission from that bolt hole or just the transmission?

Just the Transmission I believe Dan-o.It's not a lot, but we anal owners stop at nothing. Get the vacuum out, there's 3 drops left. If I can get more than Tim, I'm happy! Speaking of the Cop Runner, where are you Tim?

Put 4 quarts in, ride 2000 miles, take 4 quarts out. Filter every time.. Simple, and never a problem..

that red light is a v boost indicator light, v boost on, red light on, vboost off red light off

Green ,throttle tune too rev limiter
Yellow, swerve erratically
Blue, wet roads

Back