Oil level question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwilliams2112

Reaction score
Hey all, I hope this is the right area to ask engine related problems. I have a 95 and I am always checking the oil level thru the window thing and it always looks like it's right on. Well, anyway, I just changed oil and filter and the manual calls for 4 quarts. I put in 3.5, looks like it's over full but after starting it and then checking in a few minutes, it falls between the marks. So what gives? Does it take 3.5 or 4 quarts, or what?

Part 2: When I really get on it hard, the oil pressure light comes on, especially if I'm starting from a dead stop. Thanks for any input. Take care and be safe.

Neal

4.0 Qts. is the Total in an Engine that has NO Oil in it at all.
The Oil should be 1/2-3/4 up to the Top of the Sight Glass, and see my Signature about the Oil Light. :D
See the attcahed Pics for Amounts needed for Oil Changes with and with a Filter Change.

Attachments

• VMax_Oil_Amount.jpg
    VMax_Oil_Amount.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 33
Hey all, I hope this is the right area to ask engine related problems. I have a 95 and I am always checking the oil level thru the window thing and it always looks like it's right on. Well, anyway, I just changed oil and filter and the manual calls for 4 quarts. I put in 3.5, looks like it's over full but after starting it and then checking in a few minutes, it falls between the marks. So what gives? Does it take 3.5 or 4 quarts, or what?

Part 2: When I really get on it hard, the oil pressure light comes on, especially if I'm starting from a dead stop. Thanks for any input. Take care and be safe.

Neal

You probably have some residual oil in the nooks and crannys in the engine. As long as your between the marks in the windows no worries.
Part 2: That light is your oil level light. your oil level probe is at the front of the crankcase so when you accellerate hard the oil is forced to the back of the crankcase. No worries, you oil pickup is located at the back of the crankcase. All Maxes do this. I heard if you run the oil level at the top mark you wont see the light as much.

I run my level at or near the top of the sight glass, and I still get that puppy to wink at me once in a while!..................:punk:...................Tom.

It drops after starting it because the oil filter has to get filled up. The two hashmarks correspond to the "upper" and "lower" levels. As long as it is between those lines (engine off) you're fine. There should be an air gap at the top, if the glass is totally submerged it's overfilled, and you may get oil puking into the airbox. Fill by the glass, not by quantity.

It's not a pressure light, it's a level sensor. It's about as useful as tits on a bull.

Okay, thanks so much for the speedy replies. I have been letting off when the light came on but now it's full speed ahead!

Okay, thanks so much for the speedy replies. I have been letting off when the light came on but now it's full speed ahead!
Yea, it's not an oil pressure. It's level. It's freaky the first time it happens. I never got it till I did the DD mod with new clutch plates and non Synthetic oil. I like my level closer to the top mark, because I use a little between changes. Like Ryan mentioned, too much is an issue with oil in the air box and the crankshaft whipping through the oil. AN oil pressure gauge is a great additiion to a VMAX.
Steve-o

AN oil pressure gauge is a great additiion to a VMAX.

Definitely. They're very easy to install, and provide reassurance against the "o-ring issue", or indicate if you need to fix it. Remember mine had about 3-4psi hot idle and about 30psi at 4500rpm. When cold it just pegs at 60(the relief pressure).

I got mine from here. Comes in a very nice kit, takes less than 15 min to install.

I run my level at or near the top of the sight glass, and I still get that puppy to wink at me once in a while!..................:punk:...................Tom.

So Tom, is that when the front wheel is on the ground, or when its in the air like when you pull away from a light???

:rofl_200:Craig

Latest posts

Back