Oil Levels Hot and Cold...Is this Normal?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnblaid

Reaction score
1998 probably has been abused. I'm sure you may have read other threads about it recently.

Just got carbs shotgunned and straightened out and engine was running well.

Someone asked about hot and cold oil levels in the sight glass.

when cold and on the side stand, oil is visible halfway up the sight glass. It dissapears fairly quickly when the engine is started.

When viewed after 30 miles on the freeway, bike is at Idle. Oil is fully visible halfway up the sight glass but is shaking a bit as you would expect. When the engine is turned off, the oil level does not change.

I can hear every valve, lifter, rod, etc in the engine.

Idle is set at 1500 rpm simply because I like it there.

Also, it has been getting 30 mpg after the shotgun of the carbs.

Yesterday when I filled up it took 3 gallons...the trip odometer said 65 miles. I think this is about 21 mpg. Perhaps I made some kind of mistake with it but I set it to zero pretty religiously when I fill up as these bikes seem always in danger of running out at 90 miles.

Engine seems not as powerful as it was when I first got it back from the shop where it was to be sold but was loaned out a lot.

Has had two oil changes in 500 miles with Rotella T and new K&N Filters. Trying to get the sludge out of it.

Comments please.

Oil level is supposed to be checked while the bike is straight up/down as if it is sitting on a centerstand, and with the bike turned off.

This bike has no center stand. It has Kerker 4 into 1 pipes. I have no one to help me. Is my information not even a good clue?

I think you have too much oil in the crankcase. All kinds of problems there. Hold the bike upright and use an automotive inspection mirror if ya can't find help.

Good luck, Lew

Yes your information has good clues.

If it is on the side stand, which would raise the glass view port, and you can see oil level still, you have WAY too much oil.

I can usually check mine by making sure it's in gear, not running, I stand on right side of bike facing rear of bike and pull the bike up to center by the handlebar while bending over to see the port.

I also think you have too much oil in the bike. It does not matter if engine is hot or cold when checking the oil level, but if you have rode the bike it should sit for 10 minutes for oil to drain down from the upper engine components. The bike needs to be straight up when checking oil, just as if it were on center stand. You can purchase a mechanics mirror from Autozone for cheap. Surely some one, some where will hold the bike straight up for you to check the oil level. Trick the guy at the check out counter at Autozone to come outside with you and demon straight how to use the mirror and have him to check the oil level. Bottom line is; I think you are about at least a quart of oil high in the bike.

Check the oil first thing in the morning on level ground before starting it. I dont have a center stand either. I just grab the handle bars, and move the bike to a level position.

Cold will always be a more accurate measurement. When the bike is hot....there will always be some oil still up in the engine....cold...it has been enough time to fully drain down.

Let me clarify things.

When the engine is hot and running, you can see the oil about half way up the sight glass. When you shut it off, the level does not move.

I think even at 1500 RPM I am getting ZERO OIL PRESSURE.

that is what I wanted opinions on.

It's slow on the uptake when cold and just started...and it's all down in the bottom when hot and running.

Maybe I'm slow on the uptake....but it should be at the bottom of the sight glass when its idling...because that means that oil is being thrown to the top of the engine. But....never check the oil with a bike on its sidestand....that is a sure way to over fill it.

Hopefully you don't have this, but your symptoms don't point to it. Or does it ???

Attachments

• 023_small.jpg
    023_small.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 44
Let me clarify things.

When the engine is hot and running, you can see the oil about half way up the sight glass. When you shut it off, the level does not move.

I think even at 1500 RPM I am getting ZERO OIL PRESSURE.

that is what I wanted opinions on.

It's slow on the uptake when cold and just started...and it's all down in the bottom when hot and running.

If youve read the FAQ, the Vmax is notorious for LOW oil pressure at idle....MAYBE a couple of pounds....thats IT.

yea I think the oring is blown. The bike shop let a lot of people go for a joy ride on it and I'm sure it was taken past redline a bunch of times.

I was told in another post that I should report the oil level and behaviors as I have done and someone might render an opinion.

Thanks to All.

I think it's blown.

I'm changing the oil again tonight. I'll be careful and not over fill it. I have a portable lift but it's a pain to get out. However, it will hold the bike straight up

So next question...have you thought about getting a small borescope (endoscope)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2M-USB-6-LE...920?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item259602c928

Something like this one...and actually check it out instead of guess. A week ago....you were ready to blow up the bike...so it doesnt matter of the O ring is gone. Am I missing something?

Do this...

Also, you can use a regular floor jack and a piece of 2x4 to level your bike without a center stand. Then you can check the oil level any time. If you see oil in the sight glass when it's running, you either have too much, or it's not being pumped and your o-ring is blown out. An easy way to blow the o-ring out is to ride it hard before it's warmed up. Reading that the shop let people joy-ride on it makes me think it's blown. Most guys used to modern sportbikes don't let fluid warm up enough for our old-tech motor.

OK Oil Level is Correct now. sight glass 1/3 full when bike is straight up. we'll see what that does.

why I care, I don't know. I think it's probably because I may be riding this thing for awhile since I am not getting any calls on it at 3000.

By the way, does the bike have engine guards? If so you can put a jackstand under 1 or both to hold it upright in order to check the oil. At least, that's what I do. It's a lot easier than putting the MC Jack under it.

Yes I have engine guards but I'm too stupid to think of that and I agree that stupidity MUST be the basic building block of the Universe. I think a petulant child built it for sure.

Back