Oil Light Solid on at 8,000 RPM in 4th Gear???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecOps13

Reaction score
I mentioned this in what was more of a story about my ride Sunday. Now I ask here to see if this is normal.

Oil level near top marks on the sight glass. Roll on in 4th from about 5,000 RPM. Oil Light comes on and stays on at 8,000-8,500 RPM. I looked at the light, then the RPM and instinctively let off before I looked at the oil pressure.:bang head: That much torque at that RPM to really do this??? Strafer must be making a lot more HP than showed up on the Dyno when the clutch was slipping. I've never seen this light come on before??????:ummm::confused2::ummm:

Thoughts????

Thanx

Sensor is at the front of the pan and the oil pickup at the back. Bad design but not to worry.

It's all good.

Guess the only option is to ride again. I didn't get into it hard in the lower gears. I started to take off and the R1 rider wanted more room. I had backed off to let the R1 get his run started. I got it hard in 4th as he was coming up on me. I'll be watching the Oil Pressure next time.. I sure could suggest some mods to the VMax if I could go back to 1984...

I'm going to have to get a rev limiter too. Too easy to get carried away when up against a faster bike. Don't know how many more 11,000 revs the crank will survive... Thoughts on that???:ummm:

I never understood why Yamaha never put a rev limiter on that bike... It was fairly easy to exceed

I'm hoping to stay far away from 11,000 from now on. Looking at Dyna 3000 or Sasy or ???????? Any thoughts???? I'm open to suggestions....

The 94 runs good at idle and starts well. I just need something to keep me out of the Ozone RPM Range. The 89 is a whole different animal. different ECU, 2 brush starter and pre 90 (Non Digital) electrical. I'm still researching the options but thanks for the positive input about the Dyna...

The sassy is not a rev limiter. It will turn vboost off at a set rpm but wont actually cut the ignition like a real limiter. Dyna is the only real off the shelf option. I believe 4gasm has one, maybe he can chime in.

The 94 runs good at idle and starts well. I just need something to keep me out of the Ozone RPM Range. The 89 is a whole different animal. different ECU, 2 brush starter and pre 90 (Non Digital) electrical. I'm still researching the options but thanks for the positive input about the Dyna...

cheapest dyna i believe:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yama...1856391QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Does anyone want to get one? Maybe I can see if we could get a 5 quantity or 10 quantity discount?

Sean do you sell them cheaper?

90-01, That would work for Strafer (94) but still will need one for my 89. Search turned up no results.:ummm:

Gamorg02: O-Ring Completed alright ???

That same eBay guy has offered early Max Dyna boxes before. Have heard that they are no longer being produced by Dyna and are getting scarce. Don't know for sure though. Might try emailing him.

I would be interested in a group buy for the later Dyna for my 97 if the price was right. Please follow up and keep us informed. Thanks.....

Its going to be tough to find for your older max. They did quit making them.

I have a dyna, I love it. My bike seems to run smoother and start better than it did with the oem ignition.

Last edited:
Dave, does your other bikes light come on at fast pace also? Mine never did it when I bought it new, but last year it started doing it for some reason. Only does it when I accelerate hard. I have about 65psi oil pressure when cruising.

i'll ask both companies on ebay about a 5qt or 10qt buy and update. i have no interest in fronting the $$ though or having a few in stock so we'd have to have the interest.

i'd also like to hear if sean could get them cheaper.

06VMAXIMUS: I haven't run the 89 that hard yet. Jetting is still in need of a drop from 152.5 main to 147.5 atleast, waiting on Kyle's friend to get the jets... I don't think it's a real problem. I really think the bike gained HP with the mods I've done. Now that Kyle has my clutch working right, it runs much faster. Just never expected it to accelerate that hard in 4th gear, to set the light off...:ummm: Next time I can I'll check it while watching the oil pressure...

Thanx, gamorg02 and also interested in Sean too. Maybe he'll have one for the 89 somewhere.

Back