Oil Poll - tell us what you're using!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What oil do you use?

• Total voters
I use Redline, They are the only manufacturer smart enough to sell oil in a container with a small enough opening to pour into oil fill with out geting oil all over.

Mobil 1 full synthetic 20w50 racing oil with 12oz xr1 additive k-n chrome oil filter every 3000 dam expensive oil change about 72.00
a wack who knows why:confused2:

Mobil 1 full synthetic 20w50 racing oil with 12oz xr1 additive k-n chrome oil filter every 3000 dam expensive oil change about 72.00
a wack who knows why:confused2:

Notice any difference with the X1R?

I like Amsoil.

I know a guy who had a 212 HP vmax, he tried every oil out there and Amsoil synthetic was the only one that didnt foam up when ridin hard.

Also some of the other synthetics had more clutch slippage, Amsoil had the least slippage of the synthetics.

There was an oil test comparing quite a few oils. I think it was in Motorcycle Consumer News, there wasnt a clear winner but the Amsoil seemed to be one of the best.

In another test, one that my buddy told me about. They tested on Harleys and the new Lucas Synthetic motorcycle oil was rated #1 and Amsoil was second and Harley oil was dead last out of 10 oils.

I bought my bike this spring, and noticed it shifted a little hard and it was hard to find neutral. I read a few post on here about Shell Rotella T 15w-40. Threw some in and what a difference. Shifts good and slips right in neutral. So Shell Rotella it is.

Well having read all the replies and seen the poll result so far, I went and got 3 gallons of Shell Rotella T 15W40 this morning (only $34 inc tax @ CostCo)
Soon as the oil filter turns up it going in! And there's my vote too.

I use Redline, They are the only manufacturer smart enough to sell oil in a container with a small enough opening to pour into oil fill with out geting oil all over.

Here in TN we have these plastic things called a Funnel, if ya giv me your address I will send one to you along with instructions.

If you have ever changed your gear oil you will notice that the top can be unscrewed and guess what? You can screw that top on an oil container.. Pretty Neat hahn?:rofl_200:

Motul 10/40 dino... 80k miles on motor, 1st 10k on Yamalube 20/40, 90% Motul after that (Castrol GTX occasionally)..... motor never opened, 60k + on current clutch plates, 130 hp...... noticed smoother shifting after 1st change to Motul......... if you've ever read a Bel-Ray ad, that would be my experience w/ Motul.

Kopperhed

I have tried all except for lucas and golden spectro. I am on ams oil now. Cheapest semi-synthetic or synthetic oil available for me from now on. I have never noticed any difference with any of these oils. I only noticed a difference from regular oil to synthetic...a bit quieter and smoother feeling...(maybe in my mind). I also run 87 fuel. If I get into racing, internal engine mods etc. I will stick with american made, fully stood behind, and cool ass dealer guy of ams oil. the benefit does not outweigh the cost with a stocker max.

hello, i have been using honda HP4 ,hi-performance 4-stroke oil .in my max when the speedo hit 1000 miles. it is a synthetic/ petroleum blend . check it out on the internet. the bad side is the cost per quart , 9.50 $ , but my max is worth every penny!!. this stuff protects internal engine componets under severe
duty conditions. i like to put my max thru the powerband when ever i ride. the thrill outweighs the cost of the oil. best to you all buckridge

I'm sure someone has posted the below link on here before, but I didn't see it in this thread. On the left side of the page, about a 1/4 of the way down, you'll see a lubricants section. This section has a pretty in depth study on oils and filters that may help some that are trying to decide what oil and/or oil filter to use. It isn't a "brand" driven study, it just has a huge amount of factual information, as well as some opinions.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/index.html

Interesting info. It points at Shell Rotella T Synthetic and Shell Rotella T (petroleum) as one of the best oils to use in a motorcycle, so I'll happily stick to what I'm currently using - Shell Rotella T 15W40.

As far as filters are concerned, my ('86) bike takes the old paper kind, and since I'm replacing it every 4-5k miles, I'm not that worried about its performance.

Yea, I think I'm going to give the Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 a try at my next oil change, along with a Mobile 1, M1-108 or M1-110 oil filter.

As long as we're thrashing this oil issue, I'm getting close to firing up a ground-up rebuild ( new pistons & rings, bearings, hard-welded and reground performance cams, etc..) and I'm wondering if there is any special break-in oil I should put in it or break it in with the oil I intend to run after break-in. All input and opinions are welcome. Thanks.

As long as we're thrashing this oil issue, I'm getting close to firing up a ground-up rebuild ( new pistons & rings, bearings, hard-welded and reground performance cams, etc..) and I'm wondering if there is any special break-in oil I should put in it or break it in with the oil I intend to run after break-in. All input and opinions are welcome. Thanks.

Only thing I've ever done oil wise during assembly of engines is; Use a good assembly lube, then follow up with some inexpensive oil. Oil will get changed at 100, 250, 500 miles. Then I put in what ever I'm running (Valvoline syth blend 10w40 in the bike and Dodge, Mobil 1 full synth in the Explorer). Then its the usual change between 3-4k miles.

Latest posts

Back