oil pressure sensor fitting

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidwin

Reaction score
I have an extra oil pressure gauge lying around and i want to hook it up to the bike. I see where people use a fitting to do this. What type of fitting is it and where can i get it?

Thanks,
Sid

Good luck.. I took the old plug and drilled & tapped it.

Id be interested in one if you find it though.

I have an extra oil pressure gauge lying around and i want to hook it up to the bike. I see where people use a fitting to do this. What type of fitting is it and where can i get it?

Thanks,
Sid

Cycle-One-Off is your place for all things weird... lol

Tom can hook ya up.

I found this long ago while searching around for info on oil pressure gauges. Found it at this site: http://www.nitromax.nl/NOS7.HTM

I saw the next modification on the messagelist of the Yahoo Vmaxclub by Thomas Powell, and as it was a usefull one, I did it too. An oilpressuregauge!! Buy a Kawasaki Drain Plug P/N 92001-1183with a 22mm o-ring replacing the Yamaha plug on the rightbottomside of your engine. Drill and tap for1/8" NPTto accomodate the Zodiacoiltube and 90 degree f/f elbow ( #233407 and #233405 ), buy a liquid filled oilpressure gauge ( mine is from the Motorcycle Storehouse # 904449 ). It was hard to find an gauge without "Live to Ride" or "V-Twin" on the face : )). It's way down at the engine, but even with the big scoops and VGasstacks it's still very visible!
VMaxoilpresstop.jpg

VMaxoilpressfr.jpg

FYI: I believe the drain plug is 20mm x 1.5 You may be able to find something that could work from a good hydraulics shop. The kawi plug will run you anywhere from $15-$25.00 so its not too cheap for what it is. You may even be able to find a drain plug at the local auto parts. I looked at mine but could only find 19 mm plugs, not 20.

I'd go with COO....their oil pressure guage kit's start around $45....by the time you jackass around rigging one up....you will be within dollars of their kit.

-Mike

Yes, I'm sure its probably not cheaper to make your own. COO has a decent setup but I would want a gauge I could see at night. Those marshall gauges they use have no provisons for illumination.

by the time you jackass around rigging one up....you will be within dollars of their kit.

-Mike

Agreed. I like jacking around though.

how do you then tighten it down?

With the flared fitting I tapped and tightened into the oem plug. Its brass. But you could do stainless and it would look tight.

I don't see how anyone could safely monitor oil pressure on the go. Thats asking for it IMO.

My long term goal is to get Seans oil pump overdive kit and oring to be sure. Short term I want to check pressure at idle.

Agreed. I like jacking around though.

With the flared fitting I tapped and tightened into the oem plug. Its brass. But you could do stainless and it would look tight.

I don't see how anyone could safely monitor oil pressure on the go. Thats asking for it IMO.

My long term goal is to get Seans oil pump overdive kit and oring to be sure. Short term I want to check pressure at idle.

no no, by tapping into i assume the allen key hole for the galley plug, how did you then tighten it to back onto the bike.

The flared fitting I screwed into the plug has a 7/16 hex around it. I tighten it with a 7/16 wrench.

Iv never run it with this fitting in it.. yet. Give me 20 minutes

But I don't see why you couldn't hook a copper or stainless line to it and run it to your choice of gauge.

Posted my psi here..
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?p=138273#post138273

One step better would be your oil level idiot light changed to a pressure light, set to come on at anything under 10 psi. You would defiantly see it come on if that moment of truth ever occurred. It would be normal to see it at idle when a failure isn't likely..

Attachments

• vmaxoil 001.jpg
    vmaxoil 001.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 19
Back