Oil seepage

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lew L

Reaction score
Was not sure where to post this but here goes.

Been on a couple of rides at elevated speeds. Oil started seeping from what would be the cylinder base gaskit on the left side front. But, of course there is no base gasket. Washed the bike and went for a ride--- oil was there on top of the left case but could not see where it was comming from.
There was some oil in the air box, a few teaspoons. And the hose from the breather between the cylinders was not fully conected, But no oil in between the cylinders.
The first time it happened I checked the oil level and it WAS to high so I removed oil to get it to the mid of the sight glass. But Oil was present (slowely flowing off the top left case) on the next ride.
Any help is much appriciated,

Lew

Cjean the airbox good and see if the seepage continues, there is a drain hole at the front of the airbox.

It's pretty common to get leaks at the valve cover ends. My front left intake cam cover on the end (rubber half circle) gasket leaks right onto the top left case, right where the case gasket is. It's minimal, I wipe it off one a day when I park it.

Removed the box--- not much oil in it this time after a 300 low flying miles. looked carefully at the end seals--- seemed clean but will check after tne next ride( a leak there would be very obvious, no???)
While the box was off I peered down into the "V" and no oil there either. I'm stumped!!!!

Another source could be the outer inlet manifold screw as this goes through into an oil gallery.

I had this problem! Some of the threads on top intake manifold bolt of the right rear cylinder were stripped (same short bolt as the front left cylinder)

I had to re-thread it and put in a helicoil insert.. solved a very slow oil leak that was attracting dirt to my engine

Thanks for the info gentleman. I've looked closely with a good light and all is clean. I'll run it hard and look again.
lew

Welllllll------
I just can't see where the oil is coming from. If I didnt know better I would say it's comming from the little plate for access to the plug for draining the coolant---- but there is no oil there--- it there????Off to pull the plate after the motor cools a bit more.
Any other thoughts???
Lew

I think I may have found it:clapping:

I put some talcum powder on the left case cover( on top). Right on the juncture where the cover meets with the case, oil has appered in the powder. I've ordered the gasket.
Any tip on this install???
Thanks, Lew

Just pull the hex socket bolts around the large cover or do I have to also pull the small cover held on by 2 bolts????????
Any preffered gasket sealer or just put it on dry????
Thanks, Lew

You don't need to mess with the middle, round cover with the emblem, just pull the perimeter bolts, make a template and note where they come from, if I remember correctly they are not all the same length.

It's going to feel like somethings attached when you go to pull it off, it's the stator magnet and nothing to worry about.

Pull it back a lilttle bit and get a good look at the starter gears on the top left and note where they all are cause they'll probably fall out when you pull the cover.

Be carefull with the stator wires coming out of the cover at the rear right behind the mid gear cover, and try not to disturb the grommet on the big cover they pass thru, if it's not already leaking there you don't want to mess with it. Just put some sealant around it/on it when you put it back together.

The wires are not long enough to lay the cover down flat on the ground once you get it off, it's easy enough to just find an old phone book or something to make up the difference so you can let it go without straining the wires.....

You need a new gasket.....Actually I think you need a mid-gear gasket too, I believe the mid gear cover has to come off to pull the stator cover.
Someone else might be able to verify this for me?????

If you pull the mid gear cover do the same thing in keeping up with the bolt location and be sure the bottom center bolt gets that copper crush washer back on it or it will leak....

Sealant varies and everyone seems to use something different....I use that gooey/sticky/tacky messy black non-hardening gasket maker by permatex, and always had good luck with it, it's not RTV. Some use RTV and some use Yamabond.....I honesty don't know what is really correct...I don't rust RTV when the sealing surfaces are narrow and machined fit and theres no rubber gasket, it squeezes out when I use it.

You want to clean both sealing surfaces completely before re-assembling, which is the toughest part of the job.

Since you have the cover off go ahead and check the three starter bolts in the flywheel to make sure they are not loose, you can't see the heads, just the tip of the bolt poking through the flywheel from the backside. They will just about be flush and will have been "staked" or Punched to keep them in place, the dent on the bolt will line up with the dent in the flywheel if they haven't moved, Plus you can try to turn them with the tip of a screw driver to check as well....Search for "Starter clutch bolts" and you'll learn all about it...In fact while the mid gear cover is off it doesn't hurt to examine the four "star" head bolts on the two bearing retainer plates for damage, they don't usually back out but I've seen two Vmaxes with some of them sheared off if the bike has had a lot of clutch dumps or wheelies or what not....This is from the "cushion cam thingie" (can't remember what the heck it's called) on the tranny output shaft trying to do it's job I believe..

Good luck!

Thanks a whole lot Rusty,
Really appriciate the help and the PM. I'll check more in to the mid gear cover and gaskit. I have a gaskit for the large cover on order from BikeBandit. I probaoly would have had the starter gears all over the garage floor. I'll check on the other bolts also.
Thanks again.
Lew

Thanks a whole lot Rusty,
Really appriciate the help and the PM. I'll check more in to the mid gear cover and gaskit. I have a gaskit for the large cover on order from BikeBandit. I probaoly would have had the starter gears all over the garage floor. I'll check on the other bolts also.
Thanks again.
Lew

You might need to double check me on that mid gear cover, I'm not swearing it needs to come off, I'd go look but my engine is in peices right now...

Mid gear cover is right next to stator cover. The one right by the footpeg and shift shaft. I agree with rusty, I believe it needs removed.

Im a fan of oem gaskets, clean surfaces, and NO sealants for engine covers.

Well, the deed is done.
No problems. The mid gear cover did have to come off and I didn't have a gaskit to replace the torn one. On the way to get it I though I would get some spray gaskit remover---- "Biggest Little City in the World" didn't have any to be found so I scraped for a hour.
Test ride today.
Lew

All fixed--- I hate leaks. Changed brand of oil while I was at it..... Rotella T -------- It shifts better!!!!
Lew

Last edited:
I have the same Leak that just started, this year and I have read your posts.
I believe it May be a defect in the casting or a stress flaw from usage.I have Not tried a Black light Die test i think they still have them ?
so far, Tonight I put a little silicone on 2 of the case's bolts assuming that Because 1 of them Had oil all over it them when I took them out so if the oil is coming out Via the threaded holes in the block, if this fixx slow's it down, That would work for me .

john

Back