oil temp gauge options

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g2501

Reaction score
hi all ,
I would like to mount an external oil temperature gauge on my '96 max, but i need it to be the smallest possible ( ideally 35mm in diam. , like the "Marshall" oil pressure gauge filled with glycerin) and I can't find nothing suitable.
I already have the oil pressure gauge mounted and the breather tube with the K&N small filter instead of the oil cap, so the temperature gauge with the stick is not an option.
I swapped the oil drain nut with a VDO temperature sensor so the idea is to use this as a temperature sender unit , but I can't find a gauge smaller than 52mm.
I found a digital temperature gauge in 35mm , but in my opinion it is ugly on a max dashboard. A standard analog gauge is perfect.
so the question is : do you guys know a brand or a model of an analog oil temperature gauge ? Also is it possible in your opinion to modify a standard oil temp gauge with the "stick" like the one below to be used with the VDO sensor?

Tapp.jpg

I think you are out of luck, aftermarket guages seem to be 52mm (2inch) in diameter.

The guage you show replaces the oil filler cap and is mechanical. The tube you see contains a fluid that when heated expands which causes another tube inside the gauge to change shape due to the pressure, this in turn causes the needle to move.

If you were to use that gauge, a stepper motor and a PIC microntroller could be used to replace the innards.

Another option is to find a car dashboard that has a temperature gauge and cut out the part to fit inside the above.

thanks, I searched everywere and didn't find nothing....you guys were my last resort . oh well, maybe your suggstion is the only way to go. Maybe on old car dashboards I can find a small oil temp gauge to use with the VDO temp sensor that I put on the bike.
For what I see the only "smaller" oil temp gauge is the digital one like this , it is 37mm in size, but on my max I prefer to have all the gauges mechanical . I like the "old school" style.

37mm.jpg

I believe BlueSea Systems has a 1 1/8" gauge. Whether it's analog or not, I cannot remember. I think marine industry might give you solutions.

Having nothing to do whilst listening to Gogol Bordello had a search for car dashboards.

BMW X3 is best option so far, available in both C and F, even has a oil can logo.

No idea of size of course... but looks to be quite small.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221019-212334.jpg
    Screenshot_20221019-212334.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20221019-212453.jpg
    Screenshot_20221019-212453.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 0
37 or 38mm is available for oil pressure gauge, but I didn't find any for the oil temp. I also searched for old motorcycle gauge, and a little honda oil temp gauge comes out form ebay...but at a price that I can relate to the price of a complete MotoGadget pro dashboard!
seems that the BMW cand be a perfect choice. I will go to visit some car salvage shop to check if I can get one at a decent price.
thank you guys!

I've been thinking about this. I've been driving for many years in cars on on motorbikes and how many times do I remember asking myself "I wonder what my oil temperature is?"
Answer 0.

But if you insist, then hopefully I've given you a few options.

Those BMW dashboardd are not gonna be cheap, expect to pay 50-109 dollars, that's if can even find one. . Then the diameter of the oil temperature bezel is unknown. Can the guage be cut out from dashboard and contain all the working parts? Dunno. Will it fit in the 38mm housing you've posted earlier or can you make a nice housing for it?

If the answer is yes, then how does that gauge work? Is it a simple voltmeter, then how do you match the signal from the temperature sender to the gauge? (note. If you get that far, I can help you out).

If it is a stepper motor, then you need some electronics (a Microcontroller) to operate it.

As I like to say, "Anything can be done given enough time and money"

There are mechanical and electronic skills required if have those, then less money but more time. If not, then more money but less time.

This is an interesting project for sure.

Another possibility is to remodel the instrument panel and fit a guage in there, won't be in line of sight though, like the rev counter.

BTW I agree with you that an analogue guage is far easier /quicker to read than number on a digital gauge.

BMW has been using Can-technology for a long time. That means that there is no separate circuitry behind the gauge.

Back