OK, another freakin problem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick.

Reaction score
I rode the bike around alot yesterday and parked it in the driveway after a good seafoaming. I went back out to get my girlfriend from work about 3 hours after and it didn't want to start at all. Just cranked and cranked but no glimmer of starting. I pulled the plugs and they were black, wet, and sutty looking. So with that I cleaned them off with sand paper and ether. I put them back in the bike and it started after a while of cranking and it ran like ass. Giving it full throttle would only take the rpms up to about 7 grand and it sounded very bogged down and gross. I couldn't even get the bike up the driveway it was so weak and pitiful. I went out today to do a little check on the diaphragms and they were all good, jiggled the carbs to see if the floats were free and I heard them wiggling around in the bowls.

I don't know what's going on now. Anyone have any ideas? I checked spark already and I'm getting thick spark up on the front 2 and very faint in the back. I'm not sure what's going on with the spark back there. The fuses are good, the slides move freely. No clue what's wrong now.

please help me out

If you're getting shit spark on the back it won't work..

in this order:
- change your spark plugs (cheap and easy)
- check your rear coils, HT leads and plug caps. Replacing leads and caps is also cheap and easy, or you could just unscrew, cut a 1/4 inch and rescrew the leads into both coils and caps
- if your spark's still shite you may have a TCI problem
- also take a good look in the tank with a flashlght, see any rust?

Did you over-due it with the seafoam? I once put Seafoam in my tank BEFORE I filled it up, let it run in the drive way, shut it off and it would not start. I had to put gas in it from my gas can, drain the bowls and it fired up. Went and topped it off and it ran great, not sure about your spark?

i took off the fuel hose from the tank, started it up, stuck the hose in the bottle to let it get some sucked up but not much at all was taken... like maybe half an inch worth taken out of the bottle.

I'll check the leads again. I trimmed them.... i wanna say 2 months ago because of the corrosion. Andddddd they're green again. Bleh. This bike is such a pain but i love it

Dialectic grease is cheap at auto stores in small rip top packages. Use that on all electrical connections. Or get a tube. Did you check the spark on the rear with the old plugs or new? Over doing the seafoam and other cleaners is unfortunately common, Its not a fuel, and Ive read several people on here dumping WAY over the recommended amount for a 4 gallon tank. After cranking for so long you may have depleted the battery below a "start" level, slow down, cover your bases with above mentioned new plugs, fresh gas and a charged battery then see what happens. Basics, key on, pump clicks to prime the bowls, choke full then back a little, hit the starter. Report back.

so the bike fixed itself. I left the choke lever down last night, forgot to put it back to off. I went out to try and start her today and sure as the sky is blue, she started! Smoked me out of the garage on less than 45 seconds. I tried to rev it up and it wouldn't go over 6 grand and sounded like a boat. I let her sit at idle for a few min and then gave it a quick blip. Went over 6 grand and I shot off for a ride! There wasn't any hesitation, no stutters, nothing! Ran smooth as glass! I like it!

so the bike fixed itself. I left the choke lever down last night, forgot to put it back to off. I went out to try and start her today and sure as the sky is blue, she started! Smoked me out of the garage on less than 45 seconds. I tried to rev it up and it wouldn't go over 6 grand and sounded like a boat. I let her sit at idle for a few min and then gave it a quick blip. Went over 6 grand and I shot off for a ride! There wasn't any hesitation, no stutters, nothing! Ran smooth as glass! I like it!

:clapping:Got to like that!

I wonder if you somehow had a little water or moisture on one of your coils, either the connections or the coil itself. I found a crack on one of mine this last winter and sealed it with RTV. No problems since, but I did experience similar problems to what you had. May check the rear ones the next time you have the seat off.

Latest posts

Back