OK cops claim they clocked a Mustang at 208 mph during a chase

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
I dunno if I believe this, but here it is:

Authorities arrested a man accused of leading an Oklahoma Highway Patrol trooper on a pursuit, and at one point, driving over 200 miles per hour on the Kilpatrick Turnpike.
According to the OHP, in the morning of Saturday, November 12, 2016, a trooper was on the Kilpatrick Turnpike in Oklahoma City when he noticed a Mustang going about 85 mph in the 70 mph zone. He tried to stop the car but it took off. That’s when the chase began.

Troopers said the driver, later identified as 19-year-old Hector Fraire, accelerated and clocked the speed at 176 mph.

At one point, he was driving at 208 mph. He also turned off the headlights and brake lights in an attempt to elude the trooper.

A Canadian County Sheriff’s deputy then spotted a car matching the suspect vehicle description near Sara Road and Northwest Expressway. The trooper caught up to the Mustang at a red light at Northwest Expressway and Highway 3. Fraire then turned south, pulled over and dropped his keys out of the driver’s window.

Fraire was arrested on multiple complaints, including reckless driving and a felony count of eluding.

Troopers said he is a member of a local racing group.

The 662 hp Shelby GT500 of a couple of years ago wouldn't do 200 mph, and the 2016 Shelby GT350R won't either. http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a26865/shelby-mustang-gt350r-first-drive/

I'm not a professional racer on 4 wheels, or a performance mechanic. I have a heaalthy dose of skepticism about a Mustang doing 208 mph with a 'few mods.' Here's a good place to begin looking for big horsepower: http://www.steeda.com/mustang-superchargers/

I drive by this business every day on my way to work. When I had a couple of Mustang GT's (Fox body) I used to buy stuff from Steeda. They are very good at getting good horsepower out of their engines. I never built mine for using a 'power-adder,' but there's more to going fast than HP. Aerodynamics is what you need to get high speed, and due to diminishing returns, you need a lot more horsepower to get those big speeds, as drag does not increase proportionate to speed increasing. It increases as the square of the speed. Double the speed, 4X the drag. In practical terms, you need a lot more HP to go significantly faster.

The Mustang 500GT couldn't break 200 mph, though they hoped it could, road tests by the magazines proved otherwise. Sure, someone could be a 200+ mph driver, but it's probably gonna take > a 19 y.o kid can afford. There are rich parents out there who would love to encourage Junior, unfortunately.

https://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/vel.html

That's blasting along for sure, if he did it. I think it's very possible with a few mods.

My Mustang will only do about 160 MPH.:rofl_200:
That's with 4.10 gears.:ummm:

Well, there are more and more vehicles able to join the 200 mph club. I would not be surprised if a modified Shelby Mustang GT500, properly geared, could break into that club, they are already stupid powerful bone stock but with some tweaking, sure, I can buy that. I could even buy that it would be relatively stable at those speeds on a decent surface given the suspension and brakes the GT500 comes with.

What seems further fetched is that the said car was doing 200+ on a public roadway. I'm not familiar with the Kilpatrick Turnpike, but lets assume that it was wide open with no traffic, I'm guessing thats a stretch, but for the sake of argument, ok. How did the cop clock him at 200+? Or even at 170+. They probably have those Chargers, and they are fast, but not that fast.

I dont believe a cop could engage in a pursuit at those speeds without loosing his job. I'm guessing the guy was well into triple digit speeds but also guessing some confabulation on the part of the officer. IMHO it would take more than a speed gun and pursuit charger to accurately verify that the suspect was indeed doing 200+.

If this kid was smart enough to keep his yap shut and get a decent lawyer he will probably get off with a reckless or something.

Ya know, that would be like playing GTA 5 but in real life. If he really did this.... dayum.

Latest posts

Back