Old Corbin Seat Fuel neck mod

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northjax

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know this is floating around somewhere but here it is again. The more I work on the bike the more I realize all VMAX owners need to have a little redneck background.

11/2 deck gas filler $ 28, West Marine
11/2 furnco coupler rubber $3.88, Lowes

Works like a champ and fits just under the flap ( low enough not to feel, but high enough to access easy to gas)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 81
I use those Furnco couplings to attach my auxiliary gas tanks to the filler pipe.
There is a problem with them - the type of rubber is not gas resistant. After being in use for awhile, the rubber hardens up, making it hard to seal against the pipe, even if a hose clamp is used.
There are some rubber plumbing couplings, p-traps, etc., that are made out of a grey rubber (can't remember the name of the compound), that is gas resistant. However, I haven't as yet run across the right size.
Cheers!

I know this is floating around somewhere but here it is again. The more I work on the bike the more I realize all VMAX owners need to have a little redneck background.

11/2 deck gas filler $ 28, West Marine
11/2 furnco coupler rubber $3.88, Lowes

Works like a champ and fits just under the flap ( low enough not to feel, but high enough to access easy to gas)

Not sure about the 11/2 what is that? I am guessing, "one and one-half inches?" Because I just measured the O.D. of my gas filler neck, and it's 2-1/16".

Also, your mis-spelling of "Fernco" is sure to perplex the typical Lowe's employee. Maybe a plumber would know what you mean...

Here's what I found at the Fernco website:
http://www.fernco.com/sites/default/files/dimensional-drawings/pdf/1056-150_0.pdf

but I am not-sure this is compatible w/gasoline or gas/ethanol blend.

Here is a NAPA item:
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Hose-Fuel-Fill-2-/_/R-NBG1130_0459122131

made for gasoline. Two inches I.D. & three inches long. NAPA has many fuel filler necks. Pick one at 2" to have a good fit, and match a gas cap to it.

Or, you can do what I did: use my Sawzall to remove the top of the gas tube and just use a 2" gas-rated rubber to splice the OEM filler neck and locking gas cap to the stub remaining on the gas tank. Cheaper, and gas-rated.

Attachments

• Gas inlet coupling Corbin seat.pdf
    411.9 KB · Views: 26
I believe Miles is talking about the gray coupling pct-150 made by fernco it's in a pinkish purple like package.

Yup, that's the material (PVC), but that one won't fit. For my application, I need an 11/2"x11/2" However, it might be the cat's meow, for the Corbin extension. Poly Vinyl Chloride is "gas resistant"

F.M.- the 11/2" measurement is nominal, in this case meaning the coupling is sized for 11/2" ABS or PVC rigid pipe, which has an O.D. of just over 2"
Cheers!

Yep, what everyone just said...fits good, works and guess I'll see how long it works. Solved my problem and looks good. Just passing along. As with any project there is always a better way of doing it. This is just my redneck story :)

QUOTE=northjax;374766]Yep, what everyone just said...fits good, works and guess I'll see how long it works. Solved my problem and looks good. Just passing along. As with any project there is always a better way of doing it. This is just my redneck story :)[/QUOTE]

:punk: rite onn bruther !! :biglaugh:

The first time I saw that fix was in the 90's in the V-Boost magazine. There have been as many as 7 Maxes in our group at one time and most had Corbin seats with that fix. Now that I have the newer plug version it is not needed. Also the plug version lets you use a tail bag on the seat and gas up without having to remove it.

Latest posts

Back