Old-timey coat hanger steering damper...what kind of fluid is in this thing....?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hsjosh

Reaction score
I bought a 1992 VMAX 1200 bike from my buddy and it has one of these old coat-hanger steering dampers. I want to service it but I can't find anything on the forum or on the web on what's involved. Does anyone know what kind of fluid is in it for starters?

1607918945877.png

I dunno for sure, but I suspect some 10 wt fork oil would work, to start. If you want more damping, 15 wt or 20 wt.

If you were open to it that damper can be removed if you sort the suspension and put some decent tyres on it..

I'm open to it! It has it though, might as well use it. I have the Scott's damper on all my dirtbikes and they saved me more than once. The saying goes "You don't even know it's there until you need it". I've heard the damper on these bikes only comes into play at 100+ MPH....not sure I'll go that fast but any opinions otherwise are welcome! I will say too, based on the powerhouse these things produce, it makes sense the front end can't keep up. The forks look to be a bit small to handle what's coming out of the back wheel. I'm new to this bike though, so that's just my opinion based on the dirt riding I've done. I've only ever had two other street bikes; a 1998 susuki katana and a 1990-something kawasaki ZX6...so this is somewhat new to me.

Last edited:
Ok, I'll try with and without and see if there's a difference. It's mounted such that there's no holes cut in the bike so it's super easy to remove. That picture I posted was just one I found on the internet as an example. Thanks guys!

Having ridden my '92 for 28 years, I never felt like I needed one, but I wouldn't mind trying one on someone's bike. My thought is that if you're doing track days on your bike, you might have a use for one, but for the typical use most of our bikes get, it's not-necessary. Changing tires before they get to 3/32 tread depth probably does more for your handling than a steering damper, for daily use. It's especially important to change your tires early if you ride much in the rain, or on damp pavement. That's also another good reason to use radial tires.

Now that is a steering damper. That other contraption looks completely bogus.
If you rode a H1 or an H2 on the street, and your bike wore DENCO, Fast by Gast, or Darryl Bassani's expansion chambers, you probably also sported one of those 'bogus-looking' steering dampers. If you raced, those were pretty-much de rigueur for the time.

Bassani exhaust - The Junk Man's Adventures (thejunkmanadv.com)

An interesting website about things that make noise and go-fast. Lots of links:
Harry Klemm’s “The DG Years, 1975-1976” – Episode 16: The Retail Chamber Birthplace – Jimmy Mac On Two Wheels

Last edited:
If you rode a H1 or an H2 on the street, and your bike wore DENCO or Daryl Bassani's expansion chambers, you probably also sported one of those 'bogus-looking' steering dampers. If you raced, those were pretty-much de rigueur for the time.
And that is why I was actually considering keeping it; I actually bought this thing from my buddy becuase when he bought it new in the early 90's, I said to him if you ever sell it, give me first dibs...took 25 years or so but now it's in my garage and I'm trying to replicate the look and feel of it from that time period. I'm keeping everything as stock as I can (Except I did upgrade the brake cables to steel braided) to give a "nod" back to those times. Is the VMAX still being manufactured.....yes...but not like that.

I bought a 1992 VMAX 1200 bike from my buddy and it has one of these old coat-hanger steering dampers. I want to service it but I can't find anything on the forum or on the web on what's involved. Does anyone know what kind of fluid is in it for starters?

View attachment 74278
Check a company called PEP (preformance engineered products)
They make a stick damper. For atv's. And they will be able to answer.your oil question.

I had TWO of them on the Suzuki dragbike. It wasn't the fastest with it's best pass (with me on it) of 8.69@150 but that wasn't bad considering it only made 177 rwhp!

Attachments

• IMG_0233.JPG
    IMG_0233.JPG
    208.2 KB · Views: 14
Back