oldest V-MAX

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mines are a 99 reads 5363 and a 88 reads 0680 so it's take 100 of makes it 5263rd and 580th is that right

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210514-040524_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210514-040524_Gallery.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20210514-040613_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210514-040613_Gallery.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 11
Mine is #3584 bought in the spring of 1985, was the first one my dealer had sold. Sold it to a family friend 6 years later due to a growing family. I always missed that bike and would see it every once in a while. In April I ran into the 2nd owner at Target and he told me it was going up for sale "due to a growing family". I said I would be right over and bought it back on the spot. It's happy to be back HOME after 30 yrs MIA.
I am going thru everything on the bike from front to back to ease my mind when riding, just finished up adjusting the valves, thanks to Sean Morley for his valve adjusting kit, replaced leaking valve cover gskts, rebuilt the starter, went thru the carbs and brakes. New clutch discs are next as I noticed some slipping last fall when in V-boost. He had left it completely stock and it was exactly the way I had sold it to him. Here is what it looked like the day I picked it back up.

Attachments

• 20210329_172915.jpg
    20210329_172915.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 43
Oh my, you are so-lucky! He took great care of it cosmetically. Congratulations on the reunion.

Hi there,

who is owning the oldest V-MAX??

is it known? maybe there's a list or anything?

it can be figured out according the frame number.

the last digits of the first frame-number was 000101
next 102 and so on.

it will be nice to know how many of our old

steel-pigs are still driving around.

with regards
across the pond

I bought my 1985 V-Max in spring of 86 brand new from the dealer the last four of my frame # is 0227. Still riding it and I am 73

I bought my 1985 V-Max in spring of 86 brand new from the dealer the last four of my frame # is 0227. Still riding it and I am 73
So 227-100=127, congratulations on the longevity, and the bike's too! 😉

My 85 last numbers are 1028, bike Is completely stock ,only 4800 miles

Last edited:
The last four numerals of my 1985 ProjectMax is: 0244

-----
Karl (jh189) has that beat, but I bet our bikes saw each other on the assembly line!
Just got this beast and am replacing parts - doing recon - sneaking up on those carbs.
- Update - carbs done (twice - because I neglected installing an o-ring underneath the jet block in the float bowl. When I disassembled there weren't any.)
got it to start and finally idle - then synchronized the four carbs. But I really wasn't happy with the occassional "Can of Rocks" sound when starting. I am installing a new ring gear and (6-roller) starter clutch now. If you try removing the flywheel assembly - - do NOT use a wimpy puller tool!!! When I reassemble this, and start it up and shift it into first gear on the centerstand - I will likely hear ANOTHER noise (on the clutch basket side) that bothered me before, but some say "it" is normal. I will probably ride my first VMAX on that day - - - coming soon!!!!

Last edited:
I'll post a picture when I get home right now I have the intake air filter off I'm trying to chase down one cylinder running rich

Back