Oldie by goodie...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kronx

Reaction score
For those of us that remember the sitcom WKRP. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

I watched the WKRP series when it was on the air back in 1978. Loni was sexy, but I had a thing for the actress that played Bailey. Years later I was living in Ojai with my now ex girlfriend when Jan Smithers bought the house across the street (she was a single mom). Jan played Bailey Quarters on the show and her daughter (with James Brolin) played with my gal's kids. We had a few conversations in her front yard.... Seems she had a thing for motorcycles (she got her start from a picture of her on the back of a bike) and I was the only one in the neighborhood with a Harley.
I'm pretty sure she is still living there.
Jan Smithers nw_BoomerCover_05.vlarge.jpg

Bailey vs Jennifer in WKRP was pretty much my grown version of Mary Anne vs Ginger on Gilligans Island. I too preferred Jan Smithers over Loni Anderson(although Loni was lovely). That's really cool she lived across the street from you and was into motorcycles! I'm sure you acted much cooler around here than I would have -- I'd probably have come off like Herb Tarlick talking to Jennifer haha.

I'm gonna say that's a Honda CL77 she's on, a 305 cc Scrambler. It has that Stanley taillight that was on nearly every early-mid 1960's motorcycle made in Japan. The thin metal band for the seat trim looks correct, and the bike appears to still have the exhaust collector (like the example below), which was one of the first things to be pulled-off the bike, making it louder and emphasized the twin exhaust pipes with their perforated heat guard. Install a pair of Snuff-R-Not's if you needed to quiet the exhaust.

Yes, she was cute. Loni was so "out to there" while Bailey was like the librarian, quiet and reserved in-public, and waiting to be unleashed in-private.
upload_2018-11-26_16-40-48.jpeg

The broadcast Les was mimicking was of-course the 1937 German zeppelin crash at Lakehurst NJ-(Led Zeppelin album cover). The news service 'stringer' who shot those photographs was a young fellow at the time. Later in-life he lived in Florida and taught an adult ed class through the school district in photography.

Last edited:
Back