One more time for the slow people lol will a bigger rear tire effect handling?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2stangs69-91

Reaction score
it is time for another set of new tires for my V Max. I have been running the stock size avon venoms and like them. With all the talk about shinko's I might give them a try. I was thinking about the one size bigger rear and stock size front.

these new tires have to handle well. Most my riding time is spent in the hills of Northern Ca on some nice twisty roads. One of my riding partners runs a buel 12r so we actualy zip along pretty good. i have not draged my bike(I have cars for that) so 1/4 ttraction is not a issue.. but it needs to get off the stoplight.

I just need to hear that for hard cornering on a Max that a bigger tire is just as good...if it isn't I will go with stock size. Thanks Mike no flames please I just like to ask allot of questions before I buy.

it is time for another set of new tires for my V Max. I have been running the stock size avon venoms and like them. With all the talk about shinko's I might give them a try. I was thinking about the one size bigger rear and stock size front.

these new tires have to handle well. Most my riding time is spent in the hills of Northern Ca on some nice twisty roads. One of my riding partners runs a buel 12r so we actualy zip along pretty good. i have not draged my bike(I have cars for that) so 1/4 ttraction is not a issue.. but it needs to get off the stoplight.

I just need to hear that for hard cornering on a Max that a bigger tire is just as good...if it isn't I will go with stock size. Thanks Mike no flames please I just like to ask allot of questions before I buy.

If you think Avon Venoms are great than you will love the Shinkos..
I owned a pair of Avon Venoms for less than 500 miles and took them off cussing them, SUCKED All the way around, the onlything I liked about them was the snake emblem on the sidewall other than that, they were the worst tire i have ever ran

A bigger rear can sometimes improve handling.

BigAss4.png

A 170/80-15 isn't going to hurt your handling one bit...

Technically a case can be made but in the real world it doesn't hold up.....

I drug the freakin'egs off my bike running a 170/80-15 ME880's

I run Avon's in 200/55ZR-18 now since i updated my wheels, and the handling is superb...these tires stick well, and wear OK.......

A 120 front 180 rear is pretty standard on most sport bikes these days, they can't hurt handling that much......

OK looks like I am going to go with a little bigger tire in year then due to my overwhelming responses lol. I will join the Shinko club also......I do like the cobra on the side of the Avons lol.

If you think Avon Venoms are great than you will love the Shinkos..
I owned a pair of Avon Venoms for less than 500 miles and took them off cussing them, SUCKED All the way around, the onlything I liked about them was the snake emblem on the sidewall other than that, they were the worst tire i have ever ran

I agree with your comment on Avons.

But...

How are those Shinkos handling in corners??? and im not talking about the traction you like so much from the shinko.

i personally think shinkos suck for handling in corners. the tire is TOO SOFT . Shinkos are so soft that they wear a flat spot in the tire, a really wide flat spot and only after 500 miles. This affects the handling in a negative way. you lose contact patch because they become so flat and the turn in takes more effort.

Shinkos are a drag tire.

I agree with your comment on Avons.

But...

How are those Shinkos handling in corners??? and im not talking about the traction you like so much from the shinko.

i personally think shinkos suck for handling in corners. the tire is TOO SOFT . Shinkos are so soft that they wear a flat spot in the tire, a really wide flat spot and only after 500 miles. This affects the handling in a negative way. you lose contact patch because they become so flat and the turn in takes more effort.

Shinkos are a drag tire.

Either your a fat ass or you arent running enough air pressure in your tire?
Normal street riding they wear even, have you noticed how deep the rubber is on these Shinkos?
I will admit though if you do a lot of burnouts you will wear the center out causing a flat middle losing the cone shape of the tire, but what motorcycle tires doesnt react in this manner..
Mine are wearing pretty even with about 35 1/8 drag passes and a 3 weekends of hard twisty riding.

Normal street riding they wear even, have you noticed how deep the rubber is on these Shinkos?
I will admit though if you do a lot of burnouts you will wear the center out causing a flat middle losing the cone shape of the tire, but what motorcycle tires doesnt react in this manner..
Mine are wearing pretty even with about 35 1/8 drag passes and a 3 weekends of hard twisty riding.

I'm putting Shinkos on mine TODAY ! :clapping: What tire pressures are you running ? Nothing noted on the sidewall - I'm thinking 35psi - thought I read that on another post.

I'm using the stock pressures as per the service manual - 33 psi front and 34 psi rear when riding on my own (I'm just over 90 kg). Two-up you put 36 psi in the rear.

I'm using the stock pressures as per the service manual - 33 psi front and 34 psi rear when riding on my own (I'm just over 90 kg). Two-up you put 36 psi in the rear.

Same here 33 front, 34 rear.
Got an issue with the rear however. I mounted a 170/80-15 on a stock wheel and have about 3/16" side to side runout, think it's called lateral runout.
I put the tire on a static balancing stand, spun it and scribed a line on the tread with a ball point pen.
Then measured from the scribed line to a circumference groove, all the way around the tire. The measurements differed by 3/16".
I've broken the tire down, relubed the wheel & bead, reinflated, beat the sidewall all the way around both sides with a rubber hammer and still the runout.
Shinko won't offer any info because 170 isn't the OEM size.
I think this is responsible for a vibration that showed up at about 115 mph, right after I mounted the Shinko's.
Don't know if not going with a 150 is the cause of this or not.
Anybody else with a 170 Shinko on a stock wheel noticed this runout? :ummm:
The 110 front runs perfectly true.

175lbs...

yes almost all tires will wear a flat spot to some extent.

but the rear shinko almost completely squared off. the flat spot was almost the whole width of the tire, whereas the other tires Ive had wear a flat spot down the middle about 2 inches or so.

the venoms wore somewhat similar, they also squared off, not as much as the shinko. the metzelers Ive run have retained thier shape more, but are not as sticky as a shinko.

I felt these two tires handled the worst in corners compared to ME 880's. took more effort to lean bike once tires sqaured off

Just my experience.

Back