One sooty sparkplug

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HyperPete

Reaction score
I just changed my plugs, and right rear was sooty while the other 3 looked good if perhaps a bit lean. I have recently replaced all the plug wires with copper core wire, and I just had the needle valves and idle mixture set.

Any ideas why one sooty plug? It seems to idle poorly when hot, other than that it runs great.

2015-05-07%2018.31.41_zpshvw70vgv.jpg

Check to see (outside the the plug hole) if there is a difference in the amount of spark in that plug and another plug to see if it is in the wire- If they are the same i would say your a/f screw for that carb is set rich.

Here is a good pic on how to read plugs.

Attachments

• sparkplug.jpg
    sparkplug.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 37
Well, judging by that pic, it's all four! :D Maybe it was a bad plug. I think I'll do a 4th gear run and read the plugs tomorrow.

Well, with the new plugs in it looks perfectly clean. I guess it was either a bad plug or a poor connection on the plug wire. (I checked everything to ensure they were tight.)

Now to go change the oil since it's nicely warmed up!

Well, with the new plugs in it looks perfectly clean. I guess it was either a bad plug or a poor connection on the plug wire. (I checked everything to ensure they were tight.)

Now to go change the oil since it's nicely warmed up!

Sometimes its easy to think that there are problems that are drastic. It can't be something simple LOL.

Hopefully this was just a connection or a bad plug etc.

BTW your parts are going out today!

Sometimes its easy to think that there are problems that are drastic. It can't be something simple LOL.

Hopefully this was just a connection or a bad plug etc.

BTW your parts are going out today!
Yep, I should have checked the new plug(s) before I started the thread. Oh well, 13,769 wasted electrons! :D

Re: the parts, cool beans! When the shock bushings I ordered from Progressive show up I'll install them along with the parts. Thank you!

Glad that the new plugs took care of it.

Occam's Razor-- "If you have two equally likely solutions to a problem, choose the simplest." (One of the stronger versions of it)

Back