Open Carry?????

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a firearm owner myself, but I have no problem with responsible folks open carry, I think it's a great deturant for those not so law abiding looking for an easy target............JMHO..............Tom.

This is a tough one....open carry can be a deterrent, it can be a lightning rod. I think we should have the right to open carry (altho I don't believe I would) but some judgement needs to be exercised in where & when open carry should be practiced.

When guns are looked at as tools, open carry would pose no thought to anyone. It would be normal.

But since guns are shown by anti's as evil death spewing machines, they are viewed differently by uneducated masses.

Todd

I do agree it would make some people think before they act but then I think about all the road rage and people disagreeing with their neighbors about everything, and I think there might be some instances where people who carry would end up shooting some people. I would never shoot any one (unless they were trying to harm me or my family) but some days while on the road, I think about changing my mind lol.

I think if you open carry and someone that was up to no good see's that you carrying might just target you first . Concealed gives you a kind of upperhand with a surprise to get rid the turd from society IMO

We have open carry here and it's not like many predicted with it becoming the "wild west". Actually I haven't heard of any incidents related to open (or concealed for that matter) in our area.

I do agree it would make some people think before they act but then I think about all the road rage and people disagreeing with their neighbors about everything, and I think there might be some instances where people who carry would end up shooting some people. I would never shoot any one (unless they were trying to harm me or my family) but some days while on the road, I think about changing my mind lol.

I am not sure I understand you logic, open carry would make more problems because of road rage and people disagreeing with one another?

My question is , do you think that carrying a firearm is going to make someone more apt to argue with someone or become angry and shoot someone?

I guess I am just not understanding what your saying here?

Todd

I think there might be some instances where people who carry would end up shooting some people.

That's the same argument (The Wild West argument) that was used against concealed carry, but has proven to be just the opposite.
Armed society is generally a more
Polite society, when statistics are produced that show open or concealed carry laws raise the number of shootings detailed analysis usually shows the rise is due to justified shootings added in, i.e., the crooks are getting shot instead of the citizen getting robbed, raped or assaulted.

Open carry IS a lightning rod due to the number of people that see guns as just plain scary. Of that I don't think there is any doubt.

I also believe that a right not exercised is a right soon lost, as we see in states that have long had open carry but it was rarely exercised, people start exercising it, and the cops and others freak out until they realize it's is, was, and always has been legal.

There will always be hot heads who do what they shouldn't in a fit of passion, that's what jails are for, enforcing current laws already on the books. Rather than banning a legal practice because of a few bad apples.

For me personally there are few times I would ever open carry. The element of surprise carries weight with me.

Like the option, and feel it's a God given right. I myself prefer to conceal and not give a heads up to someone that might attempt a distraction/ disarm. This almost happened to me once by a man woman team. My instincts were in tact that day. Her hand was on my pecker while I had to trap his hand down, which was already on the grip, to keep him from yanking it out. Thank God for a holster with a hammer strap. What would have happened if they got it might have been bad for me. It was a learning experience.
Today, with so many against open carry in Ma. and negative attitude against firearms, I prefer to conceal in public.Times change,and not for the better.

I am not sure I understand you logic, open carry would make more problems because of road rage and people disagreeing with one another?

My question is , do you think that carrying a firearm is going to make someone more apt to argue with someone or become angry and shoot someone?

I guess I am just not understanding what your saying here?

Todd

Hmmm maybe I shouldn't have worded it that way.

I think it would help people keep from being stupid and when they are stupid like a mall/movie theater shooting they can react and have the person dealt with before too many lives are lost.

To answer your question, I don't think they would be "more" apt, they are already apt. Just yesterday a lady nearly was pushing my buddies car though an intersection because she wanted to make the green light, and we were held up by other cars. It didn't stop her from laying on her horn and giving us the finger. I do think, SOME people, maybe at least in my area would lose their cool and probably fire a round at some one. BUT ALSO that is complete speculation and not based on any statistics or facts of any kind.

As Sean said they have no trouble down there, and many other places that permit open carry.

If it were an issue we were going to vote on, I would vote to make it legal. This country was founded by people who had the right to protect them selves, and when it came time for it, they did it, which granted us freedom.

I hope that cleared my thoughts up, some what.

I'm fine with open carry. Granted, there are a lot of idiots out there with guns. Just like there are a lot of idiots out there with a car or motorcycle and a license to drive. Idiots are gonna get other people killed regardless of whatever laws/rules exist because no law or license is gonna eliminate stupidity.

I have no problem with open carry, it is also legal here in PA.

My personal preference is for CC, not for any reason other that I don't need anybody knowing I am armed until they have a need to know I am armed. If it gets to that point they will probably not be looking at the grip sticking out of my holster but rather the "business end" and that big hole in the end of it.

I say open carry detours all but the most violent stupid criminal. Anybody seeing someone carrying a gun and deciding to mess with them knows what is coming. Those that dont know you are carrying might start something because they think you are an easier target.

Todd

While I myself have no issue with open carry, I have to agree with the fact that too many react negatively when they see someone other than a police officer carrying openly. Given this fact, i would choose to carry concealed, to avoid rustling too many jimmies.
48035269.jpg

Here in Maine, open carry is legal for anyone of age without a criminal record to prevent them from owning a firearm. Concealed carry is legal if you have a permit. (Maine is a Shall Issue state, where as if you have the clean record and you have passed the Concealed Carry Course, they HAVE to issue you a permit.)

One thing of interest I have heard is that there is talk in the Maine State Congress of doing away with the need for permits, and allowing open or concealed carry to anyone without a prohibitive police record. And from what I know of our governor, he would IMMEDIATELY sign it into law.

I would like to open carry while riding for two reasons. 1.) More comfortable than CC. 2.) Might make idiot cagers give me more room and think twice before being retarded.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back