Operating temp.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhc1975

Reaction score
Anybody know what the operating temp. or where the needle should be on the temp gauge during normal riding on a 2001 vmax 1200n. My temp gauge sits about halfway mark and during idle it heats up until the fan cuts on, but then drops back down once I start off again. Trying to figure out if I need to tear into the cooling system and check thermostat or water pump.

sounds like its working perfectly to me, mine sits about 1/3 to half way depends on out side temp and how fast im riding. you can test the coolant and see what its at or if its too old but dont think you need to tear into it too far

Normal running temperature will be 90 C.

If the fan cuts in and you don't loose water then I would think all is well.

Make sure that you change the coolant at the recommended intervals as the corrosion inhibitor does degrade over time and will cause internal erosion or the aluminium parts and clogging of the radiator.

Sounds about normal.
Im in south Florida, and it gets pretty warm down here.....I changed the temp sending unit so the fan kicked in sooner.
1/2 way is now where I sit in the summer at idle or a tad above...and just about a needle or two lower below 1/2 when moving.
I used to be 1/2 when moving, and about 3/4 when stopped.

sounds like its working perfectly to me, mine sits about 1/3 to half way depends on out side temp and how fast im riding. you can test the coolant and see what its at or if its too old but dont think you need to tear into it too far

+1, as long as i'm moving. if i'm stopped, even on a cooler day my fan will kick in.

Latest posts

Back