Opinions needed.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Seward

Reaction score
I painted the bottom of the scoops and the side covers red today. I think it kind of looks good with the black cherry paint but I'm open to opinions. It's Plasti Dip so it comes off easily if I need to remove it. All comments and opinions are welcome. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20161010_173859.jpg
    20161010_173859.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 106
If you continued the color of those parts onto some other pieces, I think it would be more appealing to the eye. Even if it was just some trim on pieces that are part natural aluminum and part painted black now, for instance.

The VMax model years that had the red stripe on the black wheels would pick-up that theme. I recall when the H-D "Sturgis" was released, it looked very sharp w/its black wheels & the red rim stripe. Back in the Shovelhead days, which now is a long time ago, four major engine designs past! I think it was an '81 model?

If you've seen the BMW hybrid (I 8 it's labelled) that has the almost-turquoise trim outlining some of the creases on the body, or the other uses on that $150+K car, you know what I am suggesting.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 42
Gotta get me another can of plasti dip.. I would like to do the triangles on the stator and clutch covers, and maybe the fork brace. The neat thing about plasti dip is that it's easily removable. If this turns out looking really good, I will think about having the red put on professionally. It would be more durable and maybe I could get a good gloss on the color.

I agree, it looks good, its a bold contrast and it could benifet from something else red to pull it all together. I would say not to much, but something. Its a win when its unique and also catches the eye of distracted motorists easier.

Btw, really like to he blk cherry paint.

Hey Bill,
I'm with Fire-Medic on the red wheel stripe. I think the stripe is subtle but would ground the new red. I really like the red scoops bro! :punk:

Too contrasty with the nice paint job color I think. if you could match your bike color, that'd be cool. Kinda pops out and takes appeal of other worthy features of the bike away.. like a couple of bad pimples someone noticed on you but you hadn't looked in the mirror yet... but still kinda blend in from a distance....

Since the picture was taken, I got the red paint out of the lettering on the scoops. The "YAMAHA" is now black to match the lettering on the side covers. That small change made a big difference in how the scoops look. This Plasti Dip job was just done to get a look at how the bike would look. I'd like to get the parts professionally painted over winter. And I agree, radley... I would tone down the intensity of the red, just a bit!

If you continued the color of those parts onto some other pieces, I think it would be more appealing to the eye. Even if it was just some trim on pieces that are part natural aluminum and part painted black now, for instance.

The VMax model years that had the red stripe on the black wheels would pick-up that theme. I recall when the H-D "Sturgis" was released, it looked very sharp w/its black wheels & the red rim stripe. Back in the Shovelhead days, which now is a long time ago, four major engine designs past! I think it was an '81 model?

If you've seen the BMW hybrid (I 8 it's labelled) that has the almost-turquoise trim outlining some of the creases on the body, or the other uses on that $150+K car, you know what I am suggesting.

That's what I was thinking. You need a belly pan now...........

The monkey's gonna catch up with me soon, I can tell. Once you go cosmetic, you never go back...

Found a set of red stick on wheel stripes on Ebay just now. Coming from China, but only cost $1.02 shipped!
Pics going up when they get here..

Latest posts

Back