Opinions on the motorcycle market?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

06VMAXIMUS

Reaction score
My son will graduate from high school this Spring, and has a desire to become a motorcycle mechanic/technician. I work as a school bus mechanic, so wrenching is also in my sons blood, and he enjoys working on anything with an engine. He wants to attend PSI (power sport institute) in Cleveland this Fall. Its very expensive, but within 45 minutes of our house which means he could commute and live at home for the 18 month program. They will train him in all the major Japanese brands of motorcycles, and also have a course for watercraft and snowmobiles. My concern is that the motorcycle repair/sales in this area is pretty much dead, due to the economy. Dealers in the area are not hiring....most have laid almost all of their employees off and are on the verge of closing. I have tried to explain to him that he will almost certainly have to move out of state to find work, but it doesn't seem to phase his quest. I guess my question to the forum is: What is your opinion of pursuing a career in the motorcycle industry, and how are things in your area doing? Thoughts?

You are correct about things being dead.

What also concerns me is the cost of the classes as you labeled them "very expensive".

I would nudge him into the direction of auto mechanics, for obvious reasons.

My best,
O

We have all had dreams and followed them (and I hope still do). We also have met naysayers and over-enthusiastic supporters...

I am happy to hear that your son has somehow taken after his dad in his passion for wrenching... There will always be work for someone with passion, high skills, persistence, and dedication to work.

I wish the best luck for you and your son!!!!

Cheers,
Amaury

My son will graduate from high school this Spring, and has a desire to become a motorcycle mechanic/technician. I work as a school bus mechanic, so wrenching is also in my sons blood, and he enjoys working on anything with an engine. He wants to attend PSI (power sport institute) in Cleveland this Fall. Its very expensive, but within 45 minutes of our house which means he could commute and live at home for the 18 month program. They will train him in all the major Japanese brands of motorcycles, and also have a course for watercraft and snowmobiles. My concern is that the motorcycle repair/sales in this area is pretty much dead, due to the economy. Dealers in the area are not hiring....most have laid almost all of their employees off and are on the verge of closing. I have tried to explain to him that he will almost certainly have to move out of state to find work, but it doesn't seem to phase his quest. I guess my question to the forum is: What is your opinion of pursuing a career in the motorcycle industry, and how are things in your area doing? Thoughts?

I don't really know the job market but as a customer I find it hard to get quality work in my area (small town in southern Indiana) short cuts and talking me out of spending my money I.e. "you don't really need that it will work fine with just this!" I would value highly a good bike man who is not afraid to take on a big job!!!

Good luck to him whatever he does and hope he goes far in his pursuit of a dream.

My brother was in the same situation as your son. Loves working on motorcycles BUT it is very hard to find a good job. He chose to become automotive mechanic instead, has a very good job and there's plenty of work out there. He is planning on still doing the motorcycle school in the future but at least for now he has steady income.

Sorry to report that the motorcycle shops here in the central valley of California are struggling too. Only the strong ones are still alive and the inventory is bleak. Whatever your son decides to do I wish him the best of luck.

Its pretty dead here in Florida to. I do better working on bikes from home than I did at the dealer. The automotive side seems to be doing better. I have not heard much on the school your talking about but I do know most of the dealers around here prefer MMI specially the Harley dealers.

The motorcycle sales and repair is slow here in Mass,however my son works as a salesmen and even with the down turn in sales he still grossed better then 45k.not bad for a 24 yo. As with any job, the better you are at what you do the more $ you can ,the more you like what you do the better you will be at it.

I don't know the relationship you have with your son but in my opinion all you can do is state the facts. The job market is tough for this particular skill set. A high priced education in this field may not yield a good ROI.

On the other hand, people with passion go further and who wants to stomp out someones dream. Give him the facts and don't try to sway him is my recommendation. He has to grow up sometime.

Lastly, is he planning on getting a job to pay for school as he attends? If he finishes with no debt, even if he can't make his bones immediately, it won't be a total wash. The market may change or he may get good contacts. Who you know is just as important as what. You know.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Look at the bright side. Sure the economy in your area for motorcycle repair might suck , but.............. what about all the side work that he can have at home on the weekends etc. The closing of the dealerships in your area and their high repair hr rate , he can take full advantage of. It actually could turn into a very profitable business for him , provided he is a very driven kid. People won't want to drive half way across your state to get their bike repaired if they can get good honest service at a decent price right from a local ma and pop type shop. There is a local guy close to my home town that was a shop manager at the city bike dealership that went out on his own. Now he is in a little country town working on all of the farmers four wheelers etc. Also many people from the city will drive 40 plus miles to get their street bikes worked on just from the good honest service at a fair price reputation he has built. The possibilities are there! May your son have good success in whatever his ventures are.

G

Good morning 06, Patmax checking in. Captain Kyle already chipped in for Florida and as you know, here in south Florida, riding is a year round preoccupation, just have to account for rainy season mid afternoon hours. For that reason, I think one could find work easier here but like many businesses nowadays, they'll take a low pay freshman wrench over a seasoned (read competitively paid) guy. You will be more apt to find the work, just not "good" employment. Even the corporate auto mechanic friend told me of changes by the bean counters that tell the service managers to get more for less. How do you suppose they do that?
My observation has been, if your gonna wrench, learn where the competition is tougher. If your son looked into Embry Riddle, he would find not everyone that wants to attend can, he has to show some smarts and dedication and it's a college, not a trade school. Aviation jobs are good paying, have tons of specialty areas and once in the field, should go as far as he sets his goals and his talents allow! Warning!, you think school tuition is high there in Cleveland?, plus room and board, ouch. On the other hand, you've sent the boy to the Ivy league of the field. One prays the kid makes the best of it and is set for life. Only you can be the judge of whether your son has the skill set and determination worth risking the investment. I'm glad I'm not in your shoes and wishing you and the boy the greatest success!
PATMAX

When in doubt...Gas it !!!

:punk: Hey, We are always looking for good mechanics in the HVAC fields. With Intel building several new plants here for the next 5-10 years we are taking in apprentices that start at about $16 and end up at $37 in 5 years. Most of us are working 6 -10 hours days a week and having a good time riding our bikes on our time off. Good Luck, Spurs

:punk: Hey, We are always looking for good mechanics in the HVAC fields. With Intel building several new plants here for the next 5-10 years we are taking in apprentices that start at about $16 and end up at $37 in 5 years. Most of us are working 6 -10 hours days a week and having a good time riding our bikes on our time off. Good Luck, Spurs

Good HVAC and electrical guys are never out of work, long as your willing to go where the work is...Don't know how it is up North but in the South and Southeast it's cetainly true...

Thanks for all the kind words and thoughts guys! Spursmech, I told my son about your post and he started packing his bag! He has been a great kid, never in trouble, and always on the honor roll at school....my wife and I have been blessed. Its great to be able to get on a forum like this and get some good opinions. Thanks.

What if....get automobile mechanic training. Get experiance and build income and slowly collect tools and shop equipment. Get M/C tire changing equipment. Advertise and do some evening and weekend motorcycle repair,accessory add ons and tires. And maybe eventually open own shop! People tend to try to save money and shy away from big dealer type high rate shops. Guys like to know the mechanic and lots of people don't know how to do simple stuff, or don't want to try, or don't want to get their hands dirty. Then maybe the garage turns into a rental building and a couple more guys get hired etc. etc.......

Have you looked into the vocational education programs in your area? Whether it's HVAC, auto mechanics, electrical work, plumbing, the trades are usually in-demand. Give that housing starts are down and have been, the market is way-depressed from the boom days, of course. Same for commercial and industrial starts. But, if you are good at what you do, you can usually find work in an urban environment.

Realistically, I don't think being a specialized motorcycle mechanic is probably going to be as-easy as being a skilled tradesman in one of the disciplines, or a competent auto or truck mechanic. Since Dad is already familiar w/fleet maintenance, he has a good idea of what things are like there as-far as is there work?

I would strongly suggest not investing in a private school technical program as you can probably get an equivalent education at a public institution for far-less. That's what the vo-ed tech centers do best, deliver a good basic education for less.

Being an auto mechanic is better than restricting your operations to motorcycles/personal watercraft/atc's. You need versatility, becoming proficient as an auto technician will provide him with a skill set which can easily transition into bikes w/additional training; meanwhile, the number of jobs available is better for auto techs than bike mechanics.

If he decides he wants to get an A & P license for aviation work, he may have to relocate for the best opportunities or to attend a good school. Patmax's suggestion of Embry-Riddle is a good one, as they are among the best in the country for aviation training and jobs after training for their graduates. One of my friends is a graduate and she (yes, she!) has worked in several of the largest markets for aviation in the country. She went into aviation administration instead of mechanics, but she has made a very good living for herself.

Ultimately, it is his decision, but before he signs a contract with some private educational provider, he needs to examine the public educational options. The other thing to remember is that he will need to be committed to lifelong learning, which is the same thing I inform my EMS paramedic students. That is just what you have to do in the field, and mechanics of whatever types of equipment he chooses as his field is no different. As the technology changes, he must constantly stay-abreast, in-service training will never end until he retires.

It sounds like he is motivated, good for him, with a bit of research and guidance, he can make an informed decision instead of a hasty one which could saddle him with significant debt for a long time to come.

What if....get automobile mechanic training. Get experiance and build income and slowly collect tools and shop equipment. Get M/C tire changing equipment. Advertise and do some evening and weekend motorcycle repair,accessory add ons and tires. And maybe eventually open own shop! People tend to try to save money and shy away from big dealer type high rate shops. Guys like to know the mechanic and lots of people don't know how to do simple stuff, or don't want to try, or don't want to get their hands dirty. Then maybe the garage turns into a rental building and a couple more guys get hired etc. etc.......

+1 :punk:

I agree wholeheartedly! I have explained multiple times to him that motorcycles are a recreation here in the States. When the economy is bleak and your bike breaks down, most people just push them in the back of the garage and let them sit. Everyone HAS to have a car to get where they are going, and that means that repairing them is a MUST. He is currently enrolled at the local vocational school and is taking industrial equipment mechanics, which is basically repairing anything from a 4 wheeler to a combine and everything in between. I hate to force him out of it....my dad did the same thing to me when I was 16. I had ambitions of being a mechanic, and my dad convinced me to become a tool and die maker. I made a good living working on plastic injection molds for 20 years. In 2004, the bottom fell out of the manufacturing industry in this area and everything went to China. I had 2 journeyman cards, 1 as a tool and die maker and 1 as a mold maker. I could NOT find work and had to go back to what I loved doing, working on cars and motorcycles under the table in my garage to keep food on the table! As luck would have it, I ended up getting a job at the local school as a part time mechanic for the regular mechanic who was out sick with cancer. He was a great guy, but ended up passing away and I was able to interview and get hired for his position. Things have a funny way of coming back around in life, and I suspect that like others have stated, if you have enough drive in life you will succeed. I understand now why my dad pushed me in the direction that he did, much as I am trying to nudge my son. But we all know how much kids listen to their parents, don't we?!

If he really honestly wants to make the big bucks and doesn't mind traveling. He needs to become an instrumentation technition. A true tech not just a tubing bender. I have a friend right now that is making around $40 an hr and is only 30 years old

Latest posts

Back