Opinions on this 92

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texas-ss-tornado

Reaction score
Got a chance to pick this one up, it's a 12 hour round trip but I'm considering it seriously. Been off the road since 2010, but the guy swares it was running great when parked (don't they all?) What's intriguing is all the aftermarket parts, here's a list of what he says is on the bike. Looking for an opinion on value, how much should I pay without risking too much $$$? It's a 92 model with 18K miles. Here's a list of the aftermarket parts. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

UFO carbs
Kerker pipe
UFO billet fork brace
Exactrep bar risers
stainless lines
Galfer kevlar clutch w DD mod (two springs)
UFO star fighter seat
programmable shift light
polished scoops
small aluminum turn signals
aluminum blue foot pegs
Works shocks
Works fork springs
Custom Dodge Viper blue paint

Last edited:
Got a chance to pick this one up, it's a 12 hour round trip but I'm considering it seriously. Been off the road since 2010, but the guy swares it was running great when parked (don't they all?) What's intriguing is all the aftermarket parts, here's a list of what he says is on the bike. Looking for an opinion on value, how much should I pay without risking too much $$$? It's a 92 model with 18K miles. Here's a list of the aftermarket parts. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

UFO carbs $1950
Kerker pipe $1100
UFO billet fork brace $100
Exactrep bar risers $75
stainless lines $150
Galfer kevlar clutch w DD mod (two springs) $200?
UFO star fighter seat $300?
programmable shift light $150
polished scoops - don't care
small aluminum turn signals - $40
aluminum blue foot pegs - $50
Works shocks - $600
Works fork springs - $200?
Custom Dodge Viper blue paint. $600?

What does he think it's worth? I'm sure you'll get a better deal than the rest of us, but that's a lot of stuff. He's gonna want to feel like he's not just giving it away. I'd say offer $2500 and see if he'll bite— if it starts... It's only 1k miles/year of actual use, too. I think that's pretty low considering what's on it and how clean it looks. Is second gear good? That's a great reason for a "running" bike to be "off the road".

How much and where is it? :rofl_200:

I would say if he cant start it for you 2k - 2500. carbs alone will bring you almost half that. so it would be easy enough to part it out and get well over that

That is alotta goodies. Heck I paid almost 2500 for an 02 30K miles, stock, and faded carbon fiber. (but she did run, albeit on about 3 cyl).

If I had the cash , I do it.

"a fool and his money-are soon partying"..I think was the saying..
;)

Goood luck.

If the engine or trans is shot you don't have a ton of value remaining. $1500 for a pig in a poke is about it. If you can validate the engine and trans are good then you have more value. Otherwise you're selling the body set, carbs, and header for the bulk of your money.

Well, made the 12 hour round trip to Chicago this weekend and brought this baby home today! She is GORGEOUS, the pics don't do it justice, I actually got rained on 3 or 4 times on the way home, so the bike is filthy, but I had to take some pictures anyway. The paint is BEAUTIFUL, it has ghost flames in it, did I tell you how much I love Kentucky Blue? This bike has been in a heated garage for 4 years, but the clutch and brakes still worked, which really amazed me. I had a great time meeting the father of the owner, a real class act with some old Ford muscle cars, he was a little sad to see the bike go, but he knows it's going to a good home. Very good chance I hang onto this one, I'm ashamed to tell you guys what I paid for it, but I don't think this family was hurting for money anyway, lived in a nice affluent suburb of Chicago. I took my wife and daughter with me and we made a mother's day weekend out of it, did some sight seeing, stayed at a nice hotel, did some shopping, ate some great deep dish pizza, overall it was a great weekend. I don't know anything about these carbs, but it won't take too much to get this thing running, here are a few pics, enjoy!

Wow I'm jelous, Nice bike love the blue would match my Monte Carlo perfectly you should trade me for my Yellow 94' Nice score !

Just did some browsing on the UFO site and almost had a heart attack when I came to the carbs. 2K? Seriously? I've gotta go back to Chicago and give that guy some more money.........LOL. Anyone on the forum have experience with these??? They will more than likely need gone through, don't know if DannyMax is up to it or not, what about you Sean? Could you go through them for me if needed???

http://planetvmax.com/store/#!/~/product/category=3613427&id=15357911

Took me all of 45 minutes to get it running, well. The gas tank was FULL, drained it all and it wasn't lovely, but I've seen much worse. Looked down in the tank with my magic flashlight and it looked fine, no visible rust! So then I flushed it with some gas, filled it back up with about 1/2 a gallon (and some seafoam), put a fresh battery in, let the pump cycle, hit the switch......VROOM! Came to life without much hassle, ran rough for the first 30 seconds, then smoothed out. Just took it around the neighborhood, OMG she pulls hard! It's definitely hitting up top, but is a little sluggish at low RPMs. To be expected I guess from sitting for 4 years. The clutch and brakes are fine, still need to flush them out but was good enough to ride around the neighorhood! The only "concern" I have is some engine noise, those velocity stacks are making noises I've never heard of, mostly at idle, almost like you can hear the valves hitting! Kinda weird sound, but it's doing it on both sides, and like I said, only at certain SLOW rpms?? Anyway, got some maintenance to do, oil, plugs, filters, hydraulics etc....Even has good tires. Yep, I'm pretty sure this one is a keeper!

The clackety clack is a trademark sound of those carbs. I alos heard these carbs like to be rolled into, not just twisted wfo quickly.
Very nice looking bike, you have yourself a gem!

This bike sounds amazing, I'll have to get a good video clip of it here in a few days after I've done some maintenance! :punk:

Latest posts

Back