Options for a wide tire kit?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMechEng

Reaction score
My cousin wants a Gen 1 Vmax but only if he can get a wide tire kit. He is talking 300 wide. I know this requires a swing arm and likely a chain conversion. What options are out there, new or used? Thanks!

Actually guaranteed much more than he paid for the bike. Paul told me my swingarm is now about $8000 and that's a 250 swingarm so unless like me he LOVES his bike and NEVER plans on selling it he could buy 2 bikes cause it puts you past the point of NO return on investment anyway. But I Love mine but that's been a LONG HARD road to finally have it right.

I'll send more info later to answer the email you send. If you don't mind cracking the case open our external chain conversion will do the trick!

Sean

Steve Taylor makes any size swingarm you like. He's made them to fit (wheels too) over 300 and still be shaft driven. But, if you want to go big, your going to have to cough up the dough for it.

7.jpg

Looks like Steve's kit for the 330 swingarm is around $7500.00 so I guess that's better than MadMax but personally if I had to do it again I'd go with Sean. He's proven to me and I'm sure a lot others here between him and his machinist there's nothing they can't do and then you'll have vendor support right here.

There are a few alternatives that come to mind, most already mentioned, direct chain drive, offset drive thru a gearbox with either gears or chain like Eds, crossover conversion from shaft to chain like I did on my XV1100, or an intermediate universal joint between the first U/J output and the the final drive.

If I had to choose I would make something with an intermediate U/J because it's fairly cheap to make still using the original output without surgery plus the stock final drive is retained.The real work involves the swing arm being fabbed with support for the intermediate U/J, the 2 x drive shafts are easy enough to make. Most bits off the stock swingarm could also be used in the fabrication process.

My 1990 is getting stripped down soon for a huge birthday, if I feel inspired I might make one and put a 240 on it.

Steve. Which of the designs you mentioned would be similar to my setup or is mine different than any of those? I pretty much figure there are a lot of simpler designs that would work as well as mine but I'm still curious why Paul made mine the way he did.

I can redo mine or even sell it to you if you wish for way less than that... Im running an Avon Venom 300/35R18 with a 11" rim with shaft drive. We can even make a deal though coz i need some parts you guys have readily available there in the US. If interested shoot me an email. I have more pics

img3648j.jpg

img3642w.jpg

img4386d.jpg

Steve. Which of the designs you mentioned would be similar to my setup or is mine different than any of those? I pretty much figure there are a lot of simpler designs that would work as well as mine but I'm still curious why Paul made mine the way he did.

"offset drive thru a gearbox with either gears or chain like Eds" That one

The concept of yours is OK but what was screwed was the fact that generic timing chain sprockets were welded to hacked up drive shafts which is never going to work well. Apart from making the housing, gears or sprockets and shafts it's kinda straight forward and a neat looking setup.

Thanks Steve I feel much better now. Thanks to you and Sean I have a superior swingarm that I'm sure a lot of guys that had these setups will follow my lead and be wanting the same thing to make them right instead of having to replace the whole swingarm to have the big tire rearend. I'll do what I can to send them your way. That is if you want me to. Lol as I know your a busy man.

Last edited:
And Fred, I've been curious of your setup since you joined here. If you want to send me some good pics to see how you made yours ill in return send you some pics of my whole setup. I always liked mine but it was made with welded sprockets on the cut shafts connected with a chain but now Jedi (Steve) made all one piece sprocket/shafts which I'm anxiously expecting soon. But I do like to see other designs and I Love those brake caliper mounts you have. You do some pretty impressive work yourself. Thanks, Ed

And Fred, I've been curious of your setup since you joined here. If you want to send me some good pics to see how you made yours ill in return send you some pics of my whole setup. I always liked mine but it was made with welded sprockets on the cut shafts connected with a chain but now Jedi (Steve) made all one piece sprocket/shafts which I'm anxiously expecting soon. But I do like to see other designs and I Love those brake caliper mounts you have. You do some pretty impressive work yourself. Thanks, Ed

Send me an email. I can't find yours and i think we exchanged emails already in the past.

Fred, That was the point I was going to make..... The brake set up is AWESOME!

G

Thanks Gannon. Its pretty simple actually but making the bracket was the hardest part. I needed to mount everything on a machining center so i could get all the measures in 2D and then had to check the offset on the wheel and make sure the torq arm would be hidden inside the swingarm so it can't be seen and looking like the bracket is holding in plain air... See below... Made some variations but then i decided to go with a more industrial look with the angular forms. It ended up pretty nice. Its stainless 8mm sheet lasercut.

Attachments

• trav?o.jpg
    trav?o.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 83
  • Pin?as.jpg
    Pin?as.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 69
  • prototyp_Page_1.jpg
    prototyp_Page_1.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 22052011466.jpg
    22052011466.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 02062011484.jpg
    02062011484.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 02062011485.jpg
    02062011485.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 03062011491.jpg
    03062011491.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 77
"offset drive thru a gearbox with either gears or chain like Eds" That one

The concept of yours is OK but what was screwed was the fact that generic timing chain sprockets were welded to hacked up drive shafts which is never going to work well. Apart from making the housing, gears or sprockets and shafts it's kinda straight forward and a neat looking setup.

Never weld anything hardened and expect that this will carry 150 hp.
Some dont know that. Last time Ive heard MM made an upgrade with those
part billet this time.

You have a double sprocket design connected with chain to gain required offset.
Hes using double u-joint system like most cars with rear drive. Theres also a way
of doing it properly(sorry but, I do not consider any of ways posted above to be fair) but this require notching the frame. Pic attached.

Attachments

• belt.jpg
    belt.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 122
Never weld anything hardened and expect that this will carry 150 hp.
Some dont know that. Last time Ive heard MM made an upgrade with those
part billet this time.

Yes it's true MadMax is now making the parts all one piece now instead of the welding that he did but he also wants more than twice the $ of what I had done by Jedi on the other side of the world. I just think Paul could stand behind his products more

Yes it's true MadMax is now making the parts all one piece now instead of the welding that he did but he also wants more than twice the $ of what I had done by Jedi on the other side of the world. I just think Paul could stand behind his products more
Becouse people like Steve are machinists themselfs and dont need dealers which cousumes 70% of the total gain. How much did you really paid "in total" for your wide tyre setup?

Enough to have had a lot of other options but all in all now that it will be as it should have from the start I'm just thrilled I will have a much more reliable setup. But like i said early in this thread if you want a fat tire in back you can kiss ever getting your money back on any of the designs either chain, belt or shaft they all cost more than the bikes worth so if you get one, love it or prepare to lose your ass. Period.

Back