Or maybe it could come with this great new feature...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJ RJ RJ

Reaction score
Motorcycles to get speed limiters

London England
By Steve Farrell
Politics & the law
19 September 2008 16:51

Motorcycles will be fitted with speed limiters linked to satellites to prevent them ever exceeding the limit under plans announced by Government.
The devices could take control from riders by automatically cutting power whenever a speed limit is exceeded.
Watered-down versions which can be overridden or which only warn riders they are speeding are also under consideration.
The Department for Transport (DfT) said today it was in talks with the motorcycle industry over how the technology could be made available for riders to take-up voluntarily.
A spokeswoman confirmed plans revealed earlier for cars also applied to bikes.
The move dramatically breaks a Government promise that plans for motorcycle speed limiters would go no further. In 2006, after MCN exposed trials of a Suzuki Bandit 650 fitted with the technology, the DfT said:
?We?ve learned lessons and don?t need to do any more research. There are no plans to mandate this. As far as we?re concerned, for bikes and speed control that?s pretty much the end of the road.?
Today a spokesman said: ?We?re not proposing any more research. What we?re saying is that we want to make sure that if there is a demand ? and we were talking about drivers generally but that could include riders ? then we would want the systems to be available for people who want them.?
He said the biggest obstacle was the creation of a nationwide digital speed limit map needed for the devices to detect when a limit is broken.
?The first thing we?re going to do is publish some advisory standards for local authorities to use in recording speed limit data for theirs roads,? he said, adding: ?It?s early stages.?

Yeah I heard about this some time ago. I can see it now, it will take me 1 second to get up to 60 mph and the bike will bog down because I exceeded the speed limit and I go flying over the handlebars!

Only in the UK.. am I glad I left? You bet - no more speed cameras for me, and this new one has to be the most retarded idea ever!!

I wanna take whoever thought this up and

:th_biggun: them,

followed by :flamethrower:

then also :BoomSmilie_anim:

and finish them with :character36:

Only in the UK.. am I glad I left? You bet - no more speed cameras for me, and this new one has to be the most retarded idea ever!!

I wanna take whoever thought this up and

:th_biggun: them,

followed by :flamethrower:

then also :BoomSmilie_anim:

and finish them with :character36:

You sure about those cameras naughty ?
Orlando just put up a half dozen or so red light cameras. And are planning on expanding the program. All other counties are watching the outcome. And being how they are starting to generate boo qoo bucks for the county, I'm sure other counties will jump on that wagon soon. So it won't surprise me if speed cameras are in the future.

I didn't notice the lights cams in Orlando yet - where are they? To be honest, I think red light cams are actually ok, but have a hard time understanding how they can make them work here since it's legal to turn right on red at most intersections
:ummm:

The speed cams they have in the UK, on the other hand, are nothing short of ridiculous. They are all over the place - some streets have 3 or 4 within a mile stretch! And then they had to color them glow in the dark yellow, because drivers were causing more crashes by slamming on the brakes as they noticed them (too late) :rofl_200:
These days most satnav maps have them all programmed in, so it beeps at you every time you get near one..

ORLANDO -- The City Beautiful now has 10 new red light cameras protecting its intersections.
City commissioners approved 10 new cameras for the city's most dangerous intersections earlier this year.
The cameras snap pictures of any car that runs the light. After being reviewed by code enforcement, a ticket will be sent by mail.
Violators will face a $125 fine for their first and second offenses. The fine then jumps to $250 for any offenses after that.
In total, there are 10 cameras at seven intersections throughout the city.
West Orlando
Conroy Road and Vineland Road
Turkey Lake Road and Wallace Road
Downtown Area
Westmoreland Drive and South Street
Magnolia Avenue and Concord Street
Kaley Street and Division Avenue

East Orlando
Michigan Street and Dixie Bell Drive
Lee Vista Boulevard and Goldenrod Road

Sucks to be you guys!! I'm sure they will be everywhere in due time.

We have some red light cams here in Houston as well. They have raised all kinds of stink from the public. But we still have them. The fine is only like 70 for the first one but it isn't considered a moving violation so it is kind of strange. It is in the same cat. at a parking ticket. It goes to who ever the car is registered to and they don't even show a pic of the driver, just the plate. I also think red light cams are ok as long as they don't do speed cams, that is too far.

Sucks to be you guys!! I'm sure they will be everywhere in due time.
Well, if they start putting them up where I live, this country as we know it is lost. It is 20+ miles to the nearest traffic signal! If I head in the other direction I would almost have to fill up the tank before I ran into a traffic signal going west.

You think it's bad there ,..their now testing a prototype speed controller , at a secret test facility. This new device is fairly simple and promises 100% speed compliance ,..as proof, photographic evidence was smuggled out at great expense and risk by our field agent.
Horrifying isn't it.

Attachments

• new speed gun.jpg
    new speed gun.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 29
LOL, I like the one with the armed helicopter at a speed trap! In either case, it would get my attention and I would probably slow down.

You start overtaking that truck that's been holding up the traffic for the past 30 mins, you gun it quickly to make a quick passing maneuver ...get half way through it realise you need to gun it a little more because there's another truck heading towards you in the opposite direction. Then ZAP you're throttled back by big brother. You have not enough power to get out of danger and you don't have enough time to fall back behind the truck that you tried to overtake , now start thinking about a will.
See where this is going.

You think it's bad there ,..their now testing a prototype speed controller , at a secret test facility. This new device is fairly simple and promises 100% speed compliance ,..as proof, photographic evidence was smuggled out at great expense and risk by our field agent.
Horrifying isn't it.

Ah, but the Mighty Max would suck those .50 cals into is cavernous intakes, process them, and leave a trail of daisies in its wake as it blows past the pesky speed controller. Pffffffft.

Ok you guys wanna hear some REALLY FUCKED UP stuff?

Not content with springing up speed cameras like mushrooms all over the roads in England, they now started fitting a new system on highways - average speed traps.

Basically hi-tech cameras read your license plate at a few miles' interval, and if your average speed between readings is over the speed limit, your ticket is in the mail.

Anything 20mph over the limit and you automatically lose your license and have to go to court.
:Flush000::puke::th_signs132::pullhair::jerk it:

Not sure if the story is correct , a friend said it was in the local newspaper.
Apparently a guy out in Alberta was clocked at over 245kph on a CBR 600.
In Lew of losing his license he opted to pay the fine. 12,000.00 bucks...
At least now he can still get to work to make that back.:surprise:

truth is.....revenue from speeding tickets is in the millions.... they wont limit you of they can allow you and fine you with greater success.

Back