Original "Taking it to the Nines" article in Cycle World

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that magazine article, along with the original fold out add that had the ford hot rod with flames, and the vmax on the inside were the reasons I bought my 86 new. I still have the fold out ad and the cycle world magazine with the article.

That article dang near got me into a fistfight with my buddy. I had a brand new ZL, he a Vmax. Long story, but we ended up still friends after it was said and done. Had to do with my being able to get him off the line...pretty much EVERY SINGLE TIME. Depending on how much of a jump I got and how much room we had, he might or might not have run me down.

I ragged him over it mercilessly and then that article came out. We'd had our bikes a good while by then. It was on again and the discussion got heated - exacerbated by our "frames of mind" at the time.

Like I said, we were still friends after the throw down.

I was mostly an off road racer but i remember an article where som magazine raced a Kawasaki kx 500 mx bike vs. A vmax. Then the max and a Shelby cobra. Then i think i remember that they raced all 3. Ive tried to find all of those. Maybe i just really wanted it to be and dreamed about it? Late 80s or early 90s? I swear i only dropped lsd once! And it was last weekend!

I have the Cobra race issue.

Back in the 1960's Aston-Martin advertised they could run the DB4-GT ('DB' stands-for David Brown, the principal at the time) from 0 to 100mph and brake back-to 0, in 25 seconds. In this time of 200mph streetcars and Hyabusas, that seems slow, but at the time, when many cars had drum brakes, recirculating-ball steering, bias-ply tires, and carburetors, reaching 100mph was a feat, as-was braking from that speed. Sure, there were 271 HP Mustangs (Shelby Mustangs made 306 HP) and other pony-cars, and muscle-cars, but that under 25 seconds was a notable feat. The Shelby Cobra bettered that by ~12 seconds, but the VMax beat the Shelby Cobra, easily.

Latest posts

Back