OTEC Lockup Clutch kit -advice

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johntmax

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have just obtained a OTEC clutch upgrade kit but the supplier was unable to provide any installation documentation and I have been unable to find anything other than this works with the standard plates. Has any one installed one of these?
Do I fit the standard clutch plates as per the manual?
Can the retaining wire after the first 4 plates be removed?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated before I install this.

More bling.... not this time.

Regards

John

Attachments

• MBOME2005.jpg
    MBOME2005.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 36
Yes it uses stock plates and I just made sure the when I took them out I put them back in reverse order. As you have to change to their clutch basket you have to remove the retaining wire etc. Mine works fine without it, but I have the DD mod done too so unless you do that I am not too sure.

if your at that step id say go to yamaha and grab another friction disk and spring and do the DD or get a pcw spring. but ya i believe you can loose the wire anyways, but better check with sean.

if your at that step id say go to yamaha and grab another friction disk and spring and do the DD or get a pcw spring. but ya i believe you can loose the wire anyways, but better check with sean.

You use the stock Yamaha clutch spring with this kit. It will not work properly if you install a heavier spring. The design is such that it will let the clutch slip a bit if you set it up to do so when launching at the drag strip. If you put the heavier spring in it will not slip as designed.

Whats the purpose of doing a DD mod on a lockup? The lockup is already intended to get pressure on the plates on speed. If you want to tune the lockup just get heavier weights or longer arms (if able to fit them)

Greetings to all.
I decided to remove my Barnett clutch system,to the Otec lockup,because the Barnett was not strong enough to manage the power.Gen 1 bike.
Iam wondering if there are any drawings or recommendations because Otec is not providing.
Iam using 7 new metal disks,and 8 paper disks,all original.Also the original metal spring .
When the 6 screws are not fully tightened,the clutch lever works fine and the system moves nicely.
When I tighten the screws, it looks that something limits the whole system to freely work and the lever is bad .
Are there any modifications needed (cutting/trimming) to the spring,because it looks that it does not sit properly on the plate.there is not a specific place to center it and it looks that some tabs are close to the bolts.
Thanks in advance.

I have an OTEC and assembled it as supplied with the original clutch pack assembly with no issues.
It sounds like you may have one too many discs installed?
Are they eight full sized plates which suggests you are converting to all full discs? If the latter then you need to also omit parts 4 to 7.

Attachments

• Clutch.jpg
    Clutch.jpg
    694.7 KB · Views: 2
I have an OTEC and assembled it as supplied with the original clutch pack assembly with no issues.
It sounds like you may have one too many discs installed?
Are they eight full sized plates which suggests you are converting to all full discs? If the latter then you need to also omit parts 4 to 7.
Thanks for your fast reply.
It looks that iam missing something,because i had not to use some parts,in order to use the previous Barnett 6 spring system.
Could you please mark me what numbers i should use from the drawing and which not.
Iam using 8 new paper plates and 7 new metal plates.All original.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Back